Labels appear on both sides of material when using Planar mapping

Started by tfboy, April 07, 2015, 07:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfboy

Is this normal?

I'd normally use projection, but as I want to fine-tune and control exact placement, it's easier to use the Planar mapping and define offsets from axis.

In projection mapping, it's fine.

But when using Planar (z axis in my case), the label appears on the rear of the surface, mirrored, as if it went all the way through the material and stopped at the end.

Esben Oxholm

Hi tfboy.

Try to use the depth slider under your label options to define how far through the material your label should go.

tfboy

Thanks for the suggestion, Esben.
Interestingly, when setting to Planar mapping, the depth option is greyed out.

guest84672

Correct - it is only available for Normal Mapping.

If you want to use planar projection but don't the label to go all the way through, you will need to break out the surface from the rest of the model in your modeling software.

tfboy

Thanks Thomas,

The advantage I noticed with planar mapping is that it's mapped from the model's coordinates so I can define an exact offset from them to place the label exactly where I want.

With projection, you effectively just "slap it on" and whilst you can fine tune where it ends up, you're not sure exactly where it is in relation to the surface it's on.

So is it possible to define a precise / exact position with any of the label mapping options without having it appear on the other side?

guest84672

As I said, you would need to break out the surface as a separate material by assigning a different color. Then you can treat it independently, and the label won't project through onto other surfaces.

tfboy

Thanks Thomas.
Out of interest, what is the reason for planar mapped labels to go through? I could think of far more cases where you wouldn't than you would, or at least make it an option like double-sided. It's a shame you have to go back and change things in modelling because of this "limitation".