Main Menu

Over-exposed Warning

Started by Ed, March 16, 2015, 02:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Some cameras and some graphics programs have a mode that displays red patches to reveal over-exposed highlights that will lack detail in print.

I'd like to see a hot key or check box in the KeyShot camera tab to do the same.  This way you can easily adjust your lighting to reduce or eliminate hot spots.

Ed Ferguson

edwardo

andy.engelkemier

I also like this.
I would recommend a pattern though, not a solid color. Otherwise, a bright white spot on a red surface may not be noticed.

I thought the standard was zebra stripe, just the nickname and not an actual animal print, pattern.

One thing I've noticed a lot of people getting is an overexposed, but not white, image. So you end up getting a nearly flat looking surface.

And example here would be using a color specular, like on copper. If you overexpose a copper metal, it's not white, it's orange. In the image I'm showing here, that's likely what is happening as well. It's likely Not white on that person's face, but it is overexposed. Overexposure doesn't always mean white. I'm not actually sure how this is detected on camera's, but it's been around for Quite a while. I'd like that same method to show up in keyshot, and not just for white highlights, but any highlight that ends up flat. Realistically, the only flat highlight should be one that is exactly perpendicular to the camera right? I guess that's somewhat subjective. But I think that's generally the goal.