Plug-in Update, UV Textures not working...

Started by mcramblet, April 20, 2015, 09:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcramblet

I've been baking textures in Rhino, so I can simply have keyshot apply a UV texture, then I select the baked UV from Rhino and it has worked great. Today, the plug-in updated and now the UV textures from Rhino don't map correctly anymore. If I open a file from last week, the same model maps correctly, if I use the updated plugin today, on the same model, the UV mapping is incorrect! I saw a brief message that something was fixed, but now it appears that I can't use Rhino UV mapped images. Is there any way that I can roll back or does anyone have ideas how I can fix this? This happened at the worst time, I have renderings due tomorrow!

guest84672

Can you post an example that we can test? You can always go back to the previous version of the plugin by entering the old number.

We will take a look.

mcramblet

Here is a scene using the previous plug in, where it's working.

mcramblet

Here is the same model and UV using the new version of the plug in, not working.

mcramblet

How about if I attach the non-working scene package, instead of the working one, twice...

Shaun Redsar

I just tested this by creating a cube and UV mapped an image to it, and sent it over to KeyShot with the current plugin and it looks to transfer the UV coordinates correctly for me. Can you show us how you set up your UV map in Rhino? That might give us more clues. See attached files, and test on your system to see if that rhino model exports into KeyShot correctly with UV maps retained.

mcramblet

I guess I'm referring to a specific Rhino command. When in Rhino and a poly surface has multiple textures and/or decals applied to it, you can combine all of those elements into a single image that is applied as a UV map. The command in Rhino is "Bake". The UV images that bake and applied in Rhino have transferred into Keyshot without a problem. With the new update to the plug-in, the Rhino Baked UV's have stopped mapping properly in Keyshot.

The first image shows a polysurface with a material applied and a decal, for the sake of an example. These were combined with the "Bake" command into 1 file and applied as a UV map in Rhino.

The second image is the resulting "Baked" UV image.

The third image is the mapped image in Keyshot. For some reason, the Rhino UV isn't transferring and mapping correctly in Keyshot. I've been using this UV mapping for a couple of years, without issue.

Shaun Redsar

I see what you are saying now. I applied a decal, and baked the texture map which re-assigns the mapping. The problem is that if you go to your texture mapping setting in Rhino and select "view mapping", the mapping widget does not appear. To make it appear, select "UV editor" in the texture mapping settings. layout the plane like you would normally to display the image file with the mesh to show where it is going to be mapped. After displaying it, don't change anything and click "apply" in the UV editor panel. you should be able to see the mapping widget on your surfaces now (it looks like a mesh with dotted lines). Render using the KeyShot plugin and that should solve your problem.

mcramblet

I just had a project that I needed to bake the texture in Rhino and I tried the suggested fix. I'm glad to report that taking that extra step in Rhino does fix the problem that I was having. Thanks for the help in resolving the issue.