Author Topic: Cat 3512C GenFlex from Pon Power - Ship Engine  (Read 6833 times)

Offline Magnus Skogsfjord

Cat 3512C GenFlex from Pon Power - Ship Engine
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:01:50 am »
Hi folks,

A former colleague contacted me  the other day, and he requested some renders in KeyShot for their new ship engine: Cat 3512C GenFlex from Pon Power. This highly detailed model was a joy to work with. I've attached some of the results. Hope you guys like it. C&C are quite welcome.

Model Courtesy of Pon Power.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:20:38 am by Magnus Skogsfjord »

Offline Speedster

Re: Cat 3512C GenFlex from Pon Power - Ship Engine
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:21:14 am »
Absolutely stunning!  And an amazing model!  If you can start with an exceptional model, the rest is easy.  Well, sort of! Thanks so much for sharing.
Bill G

Offline Josh3D

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:22:34 am »
Always nice to see work like this. Thanks for sharing Magnus!

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:37:53 am »
Absolutely stunning!  And an amazing model!  If you can start with an exceptional model, the rest is easy.  Well, sort of! Thanks so much for sharing.
Bill G

Thanks, Bill! Appreciate that. And I couldn't agree more. Such detailed great models really makes the rendering work so much easier. Had to do a lot of radius adjustments though, but it worked like a charm in KS.

Always nice to see work like this. Thanks for sharing Magnus!

Thanks Josh, and thank you for sharing!

Offline TpwUK

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 02:11:55 pm »
Awesome renders, the modelling looks exceptional too. Curiosity has the better of this pussy cat, was the model NURBS rendered or Poly-Mesh ?

Martin
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:31:11 pm by TpwUK »

Offline Speedster

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 02:42:24 pm »
And my question- what's the poly count?
Bill G

Offline PhilippeV8

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:36:35 pm »
So much galvanised material ... to the point where I wonder if there shouldn't be more parts sand-casted looking ?
I have no idea haha, unlike my brother in law I am not seeing ship engines too often  :P

Nice renders tho !  :D

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:55:21 pm »
Awesome renders, the modelling looks exceptional too. Curiosity has the better of this pussy cat, was the model NURBS rendered or Poly-Mesh ?

Martin

I actually planned for it to be a NURBS-render, as  the model was relatively large. However, I found myself short on time during the geometry prep in NX. I suspect that some of the parts were .IGES, which really is very time consuming to prepare. so I just went for a coarse mesh import, using the fillet radius function in KS. Didn't know at that time that this function didn't work together with NURBS rendering (which probably should be obvious). So I ended up with a coarse poly mesh, which turned out to be good enough.

And my question- what's the poly count?
Bill G

Not completely sure where you can access this information, but if you mean Triangles = 8 100 000. Is that.. much?

So much galvanised material ... to the point where I wonder if there shouldn't be more parts sand-casted looking ?
I have no idea haha, unlike my brother in law I am not seeing ship engines too often  :P

Nice renders tho !  :D

Hah, yeah.. I got to admit I kinda went overboard with the galvanised metal. It should probably be less, but I am as oblivious as you on ship engine appearance. I'm doing some rerenders though, as the finished Pon Cat engines have a lot more paint(typically yellow/black theme). Just went with a prototype/concept look.

Thanks though!

Offline edwardo

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:32 am »
These are just stunning! I particularly love the first two shots, and your materials are sublime - regardless of whether they are over galvanised!

Sh!t hot

ed

Offline Speedster

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:42:59 am »
Triangles = 8 100 000.
Yep.  Not bad for this complex a model...  I have one bad boy that's 71,000,000 + polys!
Bill G

Offline E.Sirbu

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:30:12 am »
Amazing work!

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:10:54 am »
These are just stunning! I particularly love the first two shots, and your materials are sublime - regardless of whether they are over galvanised!

Sh!t hot

ed

Thanks Ed, I appreciate that! I just generally like the visual feel of that material, which might explain that it was used a tad too much;) The people at Pon Cat certainly liked the results.

Triangles = 8 100 000.
Yep.  Not bad for this complex a model...  I have one bad boy that's 71,000,000 + polys!
Bill G

Yikes, what kind of model was this? This makes me curious about other models I have lying around. Got a fully equipped fishing vessel somewhere which is pretty heavy. I'll see if I can dig up the images somewhere.

Amazing work!

THanks man! :)

Angelo

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 11:43:02 am »
wow lovely, great details!

Offline HaroldL

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 02:03:13 pm »
Incredible images.
What material did you use on the tubing? It looks like it could be chrome or clear zinc. I like the hint of yellow on the tubing nut close up.
Could the materials be uploaded to the Cloud, or is that where you got them?

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 09:37:50 pm »
wow lovely, great details!

Thank you, Angelo!

Incredible images.
What material did you use on the tubing? It looks like it could be chrome or clear zinc. I like the hint of yellow on the tubing nut close up.
Could the materials be uploaded to the Cloud, or is that where you got them?

The tubing is actually a basis from polished steel, where I increased the roughness to 0,02 and added a very subtle "polished steel" bump map. This map is quite similar to photoshop clouds, adding a gaussian blur to it. I cannot share the materials unfortunately, since some of the textures are propriatery. The yellow hint you are pointing out is actually a sphere with an area light diffuse material. Glad you noticed that ;)