Cat 3512C GenFlex from Pon Power - Ship Engine

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, April 21, 2015, 05:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on April 21, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
Quote from: Speedster on April 21, 2015, 02:42:24 PM
And my question- what's the poly count?
Bill G

Not completely sure where you can access this information, but if you mean Triangles = 8 100 000. Is that.. much?

A bit related to the topic(perhaps where the engine would be used). 105,768,190 polys here on the model below. I found the thread you had on the train though, where you had 116 milion polys, so I'm guessing that would be your heaviest.

Model courtesy of Skipsteknisk AS.

edwardo

Really nice work, but there is something a little bit 'toy' like about the last shot. Maybe its the focal length, or camera position, or maybe it needs the DOF tweaked... I'm not sure. Also the water looks quite 'choppy', maybe you could adjust the pitch or roll or yaw (i always get confused which is which) of the vessel a small amount?

Ed

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: edwardo on April 29, 2015, 02:07:47 AM
Really nice work, but there is something a little bit 'toy' like about the last shot. Maybe its the focal length, or camera position, or maybe it needs the DOF tweaked... I'm not sure. Also the water looks quite 'choppy', maybe you could adjust the pitch or roll or yaw (i always get confused which is which) of the vessel a small amount?

Ed

Thanks for the feedback Edwardo. I haven't actually noticed the DOF effect you mentioned, but I definitely see what you mean. I think the DOF needs to be lowered, and maybe adjusting the perspective a little bit.

Regarding the water, this has been a nuisance for me.. I have tried to find a decent ocean model, but it's hard to locate. This particuale one was a freebie from Turbosquid, and the polygon resolution was a bit low, hence the "choppiness". This is one of the more challenging renders I've done, far from the other products I've encountered, and the amount of polys doesn't exactly lower the challenge. I still think it's a long way to go, like adding wakes and/or foam, but I really don't know how to achieve something like that. Do you think positioning the ship might improve it? I didn't quite get what that would accomplish.