A couple quick questions...

Started by chippwalters, May 01, 2015, 10:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chippwalters

Hi Thomas (or anyone else who may help),

I have a couple quick questions:

• Is there any quick way to apply a Rounded Edges value to a whole model all at once? I have hundreds of object layers in my Hyperloop model (created in SketchUp) and would like to add a very small rounded edge to all the objects. I thought just selecting all and then adjusting the slider would work, but it doesn't as it selects the parent groups. I know about Command+click to multiple select (Mac) but it still takes over an hour to just add the necessary data-- for me a terrible workflow. Any idea would help!
  • Why when I import a model into an existing scene and Retain Materials, do the materials rescale? (Add to Scene NOT Update Geometry. Update Geometry rarely works and typically ends up corrupting the file)  In fact, is there any standard world scale which one can count on with regard to using materials? I find they almost never are applied at a correct scale. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a standard, like meters, or millimeters, or inches which everything just 'works' right? Is there a specific model unit setting which works correctly as far as textures go?
  • I find that the camera imported into KeyShot from SketchUp is not a perfect match. Any idea why? I can do a rendering in KeyShot and overlay it with a line drawing in SU and it doesn't 'fit.' (I'm using the latest SU Mac plugin.
  • FYI: The preview button in the new topic or reply to topic doesn't work. It just hangs. Post works fine.

br3ttman

Some additions to Chippwalters comments:

#2 - Unwanted Materials/Texture Scaling:  Today I saved a KeyShot package from my Mac to open it on a PC so I could access the .zpr export function.  After opening it in Windows, I had to rescale all the textures smaller.  Seems like creating a package should communicate units and scale correctly both on export and import.

#4 - I have a horrible time trying to make Forum posts with Safari on my MacBook.  I need to reboot into Windows if I want to add images to my posts.  I also get hung up with the preview button on both Mac and Windows.

guest84672

@1. You can use Shift + Click and that will select all parts in one group/layer.
@2. You should use "Keep Original". This is will keep the original units of the model and nothing will rescale.
@3. We can probably only get it that close due to the information that is available through the API. I will ask development.
@4. Yes - it's not great. We are moving to a new server here shortly and that will resolve things.

chippwalters

Thanks for the quick and timely response.

1. In SketchUp import, every mesh is contained in a single group. If not, the SketchUp automatically booleans the geometry together. It's just how SketchUp has always worked. So, shift-clicking groups is little better than Command selecting them. In fact, it's actually harder. I was hoping there was some sort of filter I could use, or other workaround?

2. Sorry. Keep Original is not working for me for SketchUp imports on Mac. It keeps the original model scale but corrupts the material scale. Should I contact support?

3. Please do ask the developers. The other renderers I own for SketchUp all match perfectly: Thea, Podium, Shaderlight and Visualizer. I can use all of them, plus I know Vray and others match camera angles as well.

4. Great!