fabrics and textiles

Started by bepster, October 31, 2010, 03:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bepster

Hi,

first, big fan of Keyshot! Lightning fast with good quality.

There is just one thing I do not seem to be able to figure out and that is rendering textiles and such. I work a lot in furniture so I have to render upholstery quite a lot.
Does anybody have any tips regarding the mapping or the materials?
Is there a webinar regarding this?

The help would be greatly appreciated!

guest84672

You can create materials with fabric textures yourself. Simply take a scan of the fabric in jpeg or tiff format and apply it to a plastic material as a texture. Then take the same image file and apply it as a bump map.

The reason for using a plastic material as the base material is that is gives you control over the specularity and the roughness of the material.

I hope this helps.

Thomas

bepster

Thanks for the reply.
I have done this in the past many times and I am aware of the method.
However, no offense to Keyshot, but it really doesn't look very good.

What I would like to know is if this is a limitation of the program or of me as a renderer.

Could you maybe point me to some examples of successful renders of fabrics so I can compare to my own?
The fact that there are no textile renders in the gallery makes me suspect that this is in fact a weak spot for Keyshot and would need development.

It seems that as soon as you go organic, its starts looking very stiff and unrealistic such textiles, natural woods and such while metals, glass and plastics look great.