Dental Drill Turbine. New Keyshot.

Started by Handpiece Headquarters, May 18, 2015, 11:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handpiece Headquarters

Hello all. My company has had Keyshot for about 2 or 3 months. It is quite a learning curve and over engineer is really starting to hate me. We make dental drills and drill components. This is a sample of a turbine that goes into the drill. Its about 1 inch long or so. Let me know what you think.

steve

Josh3D

Welcome! We don't want people hating you ;-) What 3D software are you using and what are you struggling with?

Handpiece Headquarters

We use Solidworks for the 3D part. The part i am struggling with is getting the anodized blue steel to look right.

http://www.proscoreonline.com/v/vspfiles/images/diagram-images/Star/430-PB-MF/star-430-PB-LF-MF-2-900.jpg

i am not sure how to get the realness out of the impeller, the blue part.

soren

Unfortunately we do not support anodized metals directly (yet). They have some complicated interactions with the light. For now, I think you can get pretty close by using the color gradient texture with "camera" mode. There you can set the color depending on the angle of the incoming light with the surface normal which should allow you to get something looking a bit like the anodized effect.

Handpiece Headquarters

i will have to try that it. Sounds a little complicated so i am sure i will be asking you how did i mess up my next render.

steve

soren

Please do :). To get started, assign "Color Gradient" to the "Color" on a Metal material. Set "Mode" to camera and start by setting the colors to e.g. red and green and play around with it to see how the effect works. You can add more colors by clicking the "plus" icon.

MealeaYing

So now I know what that thing looks like, thank you!
I love those things and for some reason pay my dentist a small fortune to attack my face with them.
I think this is a great bit of work