You've heard of the Whitehouse - Here's the Peachy Room

Started by TpwUK, May 18, 2015, 05:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

Max Samples 512 = 1hour 2 minutes render time. An extremely difficult scene to work with, numerous crashes for no particular good reason. Constantly having to refresh the black HDRi when making lighting adjustments, tried several scaling refinements to try and correct things, two corrupted save files (Thank god for incremental autosaves). None of the errors other than HDRi and IES power blowouts are reproduce able with the vast majority seeming to be random, probably thread timing issues at a guess.

Curiosity questions....

How many samples does KS6 max out as this scene does not seem to improve in quality beyond 256 samples ?
Would max time produce better results ?
How do you reduce the appearance of grainy highlights ?
is it too late to request an option on Max Samples and Max Time render options to have a shut down PC when render completes ?

All the best guys - Still loving this interior render preset

Martin

Speedster

Beautiful!  But with Advanced Options" not available for Interior, I won't be using it, as I get crappy large renders at even 512 samples. I do only full renders.  And it takes way too long. Hopefully Interior + Advanced will be an option in the future.
Bill G

Despot

Could this be Elton Johns's Nottinghamshire retreat ?  ;)

Nice one Martin, IES lights have worked out wonderfully, so has the net curtain

J

TpwUK

Thanks Bill, glad you like it - The model is available on GrabCad if you want a go https://grabcad.com/library/bedroom-violet-lighting-effect-1

I would have thought Nottinghamshire was still a little too homophobic for Elton, and the City too grubby and rough John - lol. At least we don't need sun-glasses this time round. Will try a Max Time render and see if the result improves and post back so others can see the difference, if any :)

All the best
Martin

TpwUK

Max time render set to 90 minutes - No real improvement that i can tell ...

Martin

Speedster

I just did a test of my "Augustus Leroy's Parlor", to compare Interior @ 256 samples against the full render created in the Product mode.  I was concerned that Interior is not available with Advanced Controls, and I've never been a fan of Time or Sample rendering.  But I was surprised that in fact Interior @256 does appear more accurate, especially in the cast shadows and the effect of IES lights.  I did not test Time.

The hit is rendering time.  The full render took 3:21 minutes on 30 cores, while the Samples render took 21:17.  No biggie and marginally worth it.  And sometime the "marginally" is the difference between just OK and the money shot.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but hey, this is beta testing, so the usual rules don't apply!  So below are the two shots I'm referring to. The first is a standard render, the 2nd is the Interior render. It's best to download them and then toggle between to see the differences, mainly on the frame and in the shadows under the table.  But also just a subtle overall quality improvement.

Now... this begs the question.  What exactly is the "Interior" mode?  I can see it for an enclosed space, but in my case it's an open L shaped set.  But there is a profound difference.

And what would be the best way to estimate the Maximum Sample necessary?

Bill G

TpwUK

Revisited the scene with build .120

Changed the IES spots to a wider angled variety, add a dusk time HDRi and made changes to materials to reduce the noise. Baked for 30 minutes on Max Time settings. No PP pure KS output

Martin

Speedster

Wow!  Beautiful!  Maybe try it with the lighting a bit dimmer, like "more romantic".  Also, is the chandelier really needed in the last shot? It's a bit vague. Then I'll show it to my wife!
Bill G

Despot

Like this better than the original mate, J

** This is just an apology Martin, the addition of 'kisses' was unintentional... I was sending a txt to my girlfriend at the same time   :-[ **

Josh3D

This looks great! I do like the mood in the first one though.

TpwUK

Sill some more renders to post, some with different IES files and one which is HDRi and an area diffuse light. Then will try with an occlusion and post processing to see if we can get this more pleasing and to get some mood back again.

@ J - Never even noticed the kisses mate, feel free to put them back again if you feel so inclined  ;D

Martin

TpwUK

Last one, occlusion added with some extra effects with Pixelmator

Martin

Speedster

Hi Martin;
I've never really understood occlusion, or how to use it.  How did you apply it here, and for what effect?  I don't see any real difference, but I know I'm not looking at the right areas.
Thanks!
Bill G

TpwUK

Hi Bill, the way i used to use an ambient occlusion render was to get a better idea of where the hot spots were and for seeing the depth to the shadows, allowing you to adjust the lighting to better suit the final render. Since there is no AO in KeyShot, the way it was used here was to assign everything other than the glazing in the window with the Occlusion material type, changed the CMYK to 1,1,1,97 and let it render for Max Time for one hour. The images were then combined using layers with Multiply, and then the brightness and contrast were adjusted to get some more depth to shadows and overall tone to the image.

If you look at the carpet, it's a little darker in shade, as is the duvet cover, and look into the far corner and you can see the shadow gradually getting darker as it goes down the wall. It's subtle, but noticeable. I could make it darker if you want.

Here's the occlusion render should you want to play with it for yourself. It's the same resolution and same render time as the main image.

Martin

Josh3D