Geometry Editor Testing

Started by TpwUK, June 03, 2015, 03:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

Another old model that was downloaded from the web as one big object making it am ideal test piece for the geometry editor. The model was exploded into a little over 900 sub parts, that were then textured. During the process there was some problems as can be seen in the renders with materials randomly becoming corrupted and having to be replaced and reapplied in-between having to save out and reload the scene to clear the problems.

The original idea was to create a moonlit scene so i used a translucent material for the rice paper glazing and applied two spheres inside the building to use for lighting, mega wattage required to get the windows to glow up a little but i think you get a better result this way than using emitters.

Render 1 was a 256 Max Samples render
Render 2 and 3 were 1 Hour Max Time renders
Render 4 shows the corrupted materials in action
Render 5 shows the poor quality of model. Hopefully version 6.1 will bring some form of SubD to the party to help fix these old models without having to fire up something like Modo/Maya/Max to get the model repaired to a good enough state to get good renders.

Hope you find them interesting guys.

Martin

TpwUK

Problems trying to add all the images at once so breaking them apart ... C'mon luxion get rid of the 286 :P

Martin

TpwUK

Corrupted materials - anybody else suffering this ?

Martin

guest84672

TpwUK

They normally corrupted in the live preview, but on that occasion it happened after I had clicked on render or whilst i was setting render options, so with the live screen being paused didn't see it happen.

Martin

Speedster

Build 6.0.105?  Curious, as I was going to play with the Geometry Editor tomorrow.
Bill G

TpwUK

Yes Bill - .105 being put through its paces. I must admit i like the Geo Ed, Can sort out Face and Vertex normals as well as separate individual surfaces and can explode single mass objects into their constituent parts. A must have tool that's really appreciated here. I've not tested it on NURBs solids yet, but will be shortly once my pet dragon has calmed herself down :)

Martin

Speedster

It must be my bifocals, but I sure can't find the Geometry Editor.  The (SUPER!) manual is still for 5.  Where the heck is this puppy?
Bill G

TpwUK

Hi Bill, it probably won't work with SolidWorks files but if you do some polygon mesh imports, go to window on the menu bar and select Show Geometry View. When it's working it's an excellent time saver that enable you to separate groups/objects down into individual surfaces and can help repair common issues with poly based models like normals facing the wrong way.

Martin

guest84672

Of course it works with SW files. It works with any file type, as long as it has polygons.

TpwUK

Thanks Thomas - I always thought SW was a NURBs modelling app. I get so confused with NURBs that in reality do not generate any polygons, but instead generate a 'Render Mesh' in order to be displayed. Tessellation is required as far as i know with SW so with my limited understanding on this subject, KeyShot effectively creates the render mesh so we can apply materials and render those surfaces. Now when i said i was going to try and test the Geometry Editor on NURBs I got told it won't work.

Confused here now :/

Martin

Speedster

Unless I'm mistaken (probably am) KeyShot converts SW into an obj, which I believe is poly?  I use SimLab to convert my SW models into obj and several other subD formats successfully.

I'm not really confused.  I simply don't have a clue!  Should learn something about computers sometime!

Bill G

TpwUK

It's not computers I need to learn, but the NURBs and Polygons and Render Meshes. My Understanding is that a NURBs object is nothing but a bunch of mathematical equations that places points like a cloud map. Tessellation is required to convert that cloud map into a visible surface. And then that surface can be exported out as an OBJ or any other Polygon format as long as you know how to do it, or use a third party plugin to do the job for you.

That's why NURBs can be converted to polygons, but polygons can't be reversed back to NURBs since the OBJ or other polygon formats for that matter can not support the weight and tension settings that are required to create a smooth surface.  So if i remember correctly, if you have tight tension with heavy weight, you get a corner, the reverse will give you a bezier curve.

I am not a great modeller but I can get by, i prefer to refer to myself as a 3D render artist, so I even struggle with getting my head round Fresnel and Diffuse because i go by what looks good to me rather than understanding the underlying technology which is probably why I still design gardens in 2D.

Martin