Default "Render File" location change

Started by Speedster, May 16, 2015, 03:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Throughout KeyShot history, the default location for renderings is the "Renderings" folder within KeyShot.  It would be very helpful to have your renderings default instead to whatever folder you have saved the new .bip to.  It would be much easier to maintain project files!

In SolidWorks, for example, I can open a new part and save it into a new folder, like "Client Project" or something.  Then any new part or assembly I create using that part defaults to that folder without my directing it.  In later sessions, if I open a part or assembly, any new work, mods, or new parts/assemblies, saves into that folder.

It would save a lot of time and hassle if KeyShot followed that path.  Open a new .bip, save it into a folder, and any subsequent work on or with that .bip goes to that folder, unless you direct it elsewhere.

What do you guys and gals think of this idea?  "Likes" welcome!

Bill G

guest84672

I like the idea. We will discuss it with the team.

Another thing that we permanently run into is the fact that users are not aware of saving KSPs in particular when sharing scenes. Somehow we need to try to work this into the saving options as well, or at least raise some awareness.

TpwUK

Full save and Partial save perhaps, Thomas or maybe, if you do implement the folder option suggested by Bill, put it in the exit program routine, a courtesy dialog that just says things like ... Updating Package File , saving file, exiting.

Martin

Speedster

I still support the simple request I first made.  It's not about Packages or .ksp's, but about placing everything in one project folder the first time.

In SolidWorks (and almost all other apps), this is my normal workflow:

1)  Create a new Project (client) Folder.
2)  Start a new part, save.  Start another part, save. 
3)  Open a new Assembly.
4)  Drop parts in and mate or whatever.  Save Assembly.
5)  Close or leave open- no matter.

NOTE that each part/assembly automatically saves into the proper Project Folder.  You don't have to rummage around each time.

Client calls, and needs a change to a part and a new part added to the assembly.  You know the drill...

6)  Go to Windows Explorer (in my PC world), go to his or her folder and open the assembly.
7)  Make the change and save it.  Note that it saves to the correct folder!
8 )  Create the new part, drop it in and mate it.  Save.  Note that it saves to the correct folder!  No searching around, it simply knows where to put it.
9)  Pull a Pack-and-Go to a zip and ship it out.
10)  Close it out and go back to something else.

Now for me, this can happen many time a day.  Ditto KeyShot renderings.  I might work on 5 or 6 different projects a day,  mainly because KeyShot is so danged fast that sometimes I wait until the next day to send them off just so my client "thinks" I'm putting in long hours just for him!

But in that day, it can often take almost an hour of directing renderings away from the KeyShot default "Renderings" folder into the correct one. I don't like to have multiple .bip's open at one time.

So all I'm asking is to streamline the file management process, like SolidWorks and others have.

Speaking of workflow...  I ALWAYS create a Package (.ksp) at the end of each project, or in some cases, at certain milestones that I may want to revisit.  The renamed package(s) go on a dedicated thumb drive and into the safe.  Just basic due-diligence, as they say.

Bill G

Ed

I agree with Bill 100% on this. 

Some programs remember where you opened a file from and assume that's where you want to save as well during the current session.  Other programs use a predefined default folder - saving goes there no mater what (unless you Save-As).

My daily workflow involves a lot of unnecessary folder activity as well (not just talking about KS).

Seems like it could be something the user defines in Preferences.
Either:
  • Save/Open all during the session to/from the first folder opened or saved-as.
  • Save to the default folders.

Is this what you mean Bill?

Ed Ferguson