Large Format Wall Panels

Started by Carn, May 28, 2015, 05:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carn

We've just had these wall panels completed. Huge props to Steve at 3D Off the Page for all his assistance and perserverence in getting the renders done for us on these  ;)

The printed images are 4,5x2,2m and 3,0x2,2m in size @ 300DPI. The rendered files are 53858x26349 pixels and 35905x26330 pixels in size  ;D

And a crop at 50% of the original resolution to show some of the detail...

edwardo

I don't really understand why you would ever need that many pixels? 300dpi is required for printed material that is viewed inches from your eyes. Billboards of 4.00m x 6.00m are usually printed at no more than 30 dpi. How close is the viewer going to be standing to these prints?

Good to see these images - I'm just about to start a job modelling/rendering some sort of heat recovery system. I haven't really tried rendering machinery. Could be difficult trying to make an interesting image.

Anyway, my hat is off to you for outputting a 50K image without your computer melting!

Ed

Carn

Hi Ed,

They're for a trade show, and after that will be framed for us around our offices. They will be viewed at arm's length on our stand at the expo, hence the resolution requirement  ;)

edwardo

Fair enough, still seems excessive though, at arms length you could get away with about <100dpi. But never any harm in over-egging, as long as your computer can handle it.  :)

Arn

Quote from: edwardo on May 28, 2015, 06:40:38 AM
Fair enough, still seems excessive though, at arms length you could get away with about <100dpi. But never any harm in over-egging, as long as your computer can handle it.  :)
To be fair, most posters look horrible at anything but a huge distance.

PhilippeV8

3DOTP has some computers in their farm that won't melt on this kind of level ;)