Author Topic: Large Format Wall Panels  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Carn

Large Format Wall Panels
« on: May 28, 2015, 05:54:14 am »
We've just had these wall panels completed. Huge props to Steve at 3D Off the Page for all his assistance and perserverence in getting the renders done for us on these  ;)

The printed images are 4,5x2,2m and 3,0x2,2m in size @ 300DPI. The rendered files are 53858x26349 pixels and 35905x26330 pixels in size  ;D

And a crop at 50% of the original resolution to show some of the detail...

Offline edwardo

Re: Large Format Wall Panels
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:31:26 am »
I don't really understand why you would ever need that many pixels? 300dpi is required for printed material that is viewed inches from your eyes. Billboards of 4.00m x 6.00m are usually printed at no more than 30 dpi. How close is the viewer going to be standing to these prints?

Good to see these images - I'm just about to start a job modelling/rendering some sort of heat recovery system. I haven't really tried rendering machinery. Could be difficult trying to make an interesting image.

Anyway, my hat is off to you for outputting a 50K image without your computer melting!

Ed

Offline Carn

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:37:07 am »
Hi Ed,

They're for a trade show, and after that will be framed for us around our offices. They will be viewed at arm's length on our stand at the expo, hence the resolution requirement  ;)

Offline edwardo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:40:38 am »
Fair enough, still seems excessive though, at arms length you could get away with about <100dpi. But never any harm in over-egging, as long as your computer can handle it.  :)

Offline Arn

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 06:38:25 pm »
Fair enough, still seems excessive though, at arms length you could get away with about <100dpi. But never any harm in over-egging, as long as your computer can handle it.  :)
To be fair, most posters look horrible at anything but a huge distance.

Offline PhilippeV8

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 01:36:04 am »
3DOTP has some computers in their farm that won't melt on this kind of level ;)