Is Keyshot Taking Longer to Startup For You Lately?

Started by Robb63, May 27, 2015, 10:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

I've noticed over the last month or so that KS seems to take a few minutes to startup, whether I'm using the Rhino/SolidWorks plugin, or just starting by itself.
Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just going crazy?

Speedster

Heck- we're all crazy!  But yes, KS5 is opening and running/rendering slower than before I updated to 5.3.6.  On 32 cores, it used to open in about 5 seconds, but now it's pushing two minutes.
Bill G

Rex

Does it speed up if you disable the welcome screen on startup?

Speedster

Wow!  73 seconds to open with it enabled.  Less than 3 seconds when disabled!  Also got this interesting dialogue box, below, just as it finally opened.
Bill G

Rex

Interesting, I've never seen that before. Can you reset the welcome screen to see if that displays the correct info and helps the start up speed?

Enable "Show news window at application start up" in Preferences>General and save changes. Close KeyShot. Delete the folder "Startup" located in C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Luxion\KeyShot 5. Open KeyShot

By default this is a hidden folder. You can show it by going to Folder Options>View>Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Thanks!

br3ttman

Rex,

Your fix works wonderfully!  Like Speedster I was up around 80 seconds to launch KeyShot in Windows.  However, after disabling the welcome screen and later deleting the startup folder using your method, it now launches in just a couple seconds.  For reference I run KeyShot on both Mac OS and Windows Bootcamp sides of my MacBook.  The Mac side had been running just fine, but Windows took forever to launch. I had wondered if for some reason it was because I was pointing my KeyShot Resources folders in Bootcamp back to the Mac directories to avoid redundancy.

Robb63

I haven't had a chance to try the fix yet, but mine is showing the missing webpage in the startup screen just like Bill's.

Rex

Quote from: br3ttj on May 28, 2015, 07:32:40 PM
Rex,

Your fix works wonderfully!  Like Speedster I was up around 80 seconds to launch KeyShot in Windows.  However, after disabling the welcome screen and later deleting the startup folder using your method, it now launches in just a couple seconds.  For reference I run KeyShot on both Mac OS and Windows Bootcamp sides of my MacBook.  The Mac side had been running just fine, but Windows took forever to launch. I had wondered if for some reason it was because I was pointing my KeyShot Resources folders in Bootcamp back to the Mac directories to avoid redundancy.

br3ttj,

After deleting the startup folder does having the welcome screen showing still affect the startup time?

Thanks,
Rex

br3ttman

Rex,

It all seems to be back to normal, even with the welcome screen enabled.   With your "delete startup file" recipe and re-enabling the welcome screen, now it only takes about 3 or 4 seconds to fully launch.

Robb63

That worked great!
I went from about 75 secs startup (welcome screen unable to load content), to 3-4 secs to fully launch with welcome screen working.

Many thanks!!