Can I get a light to glow through a material without transparency?

Started by Will Gibbons, June 03, 2015, 01:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

I know how to add transparency to plastic, but that's not quite what I'm after.

What's my best shot of rendering out an LED placed under a thin, opaque, injection-molded plastic piece. The intention is for the LED to glow through the plastic brightest near the axis of the beam and diffuse as you move away from the axis of the beam.

As far as lighting and KeyShot's intelligence goes... can I achieve a result similar to real-life, where a plastic surface is placed between camera and LED, and depending on the thickness of plastic, the brightness of the glow varies?

If this is possible, what kind of materials would you recommend me using?

I've got a feeling this calls for a quick Photoshop job, but want to verify first.

andy.engelkemier

that will be translucency. And so far, the only material that has that is, you guessed it, the translucent material.
Try it out. If you aren't getting what you're after check they keyshot youtube page. Don't forget that you can speed up the video so you don't have to spend your time watching the Entire thing slowly by hitting the gear icon and choosing something like 2x speed. Fast talkers end up much quicker than you can really understand, but it brings slow talkers to a pace that won't make you want to pull out your hair.