Webinar Mastering Transparent Materials in KeyShot

Started by Finema, June 12, 2015, 11:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

That's what i was saying about having to scale the liquid very slightly and why it's awkward rendering wise

in KeyShot, select the liquid surfaces the click position and the scale them to .998

Martin

Finema

TpwUK

ok here's mine with no scaling - my model as draughted

Start over, when you import this time, import the NURBs data and set KS to use NURBs rendering mode

Martin

Finema

Finema

TpwUK

Golden rule number one - never settle for what you first see ...Play with colours, HDRi lighting, reflect/refract settings, add a ground plane increase bounces use global lighting etc.

Here's the same model with some materials and lighting adjustments. refract altered, more bounces and better shadows with caustics. Have fun, play with settings and make it look how you want it to look. You won't break anything :)

Martin

TpwUK

As for the dark top, don't forget to adjust bounces, and also remember that it's standing on a surface and will be reflecting the darker shades from the bottom as well as from the top :)

Martin

Finema

thanks Martin
vut i haven"t forget bounces and all but i would like to see a picture (tray) with glass and liquid and top liquid

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Finema on June 12, 2015, 11:50:24 PM
Hi,
I've seen this webinar : Mastering Transparent Materials in KeyShot.
But it's not clear for me about the glass with liquid inside.
I understand the liquid surface must touch the glass surface but must it be bigger or just touch ? and the above liquid also ?
Could you post it here the .obj of the glass with the 3 surfaces ? or a slide shema ?
Thanks a lot.

Hey Finema.
Here's a glass with liquid consting of 3 surfaces. I've tried to do it like they shows in the webinar.
http://adobe.ly/1BahW0O

I think the trick is to have no inner glass surface where there is liquid. Then you do not need to scale anything.
Take a look at the drawing below. The blue surface (the bottom of the liquid) takes over where the red surface (the glass) stops.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hope it helps.

TpwUK

That's method 1 as discussed earlier in the post Esben, nice glass too :)

Martin

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: TpwUK on June 13, 2015, 10:36:38 AM
That's method 1 as discussed earlier in the post Esben, nice glass too :)
Martin

Thanks Martin... and Great. I wasn't sure I understood your description correctly, or if you meant the same, but you did :)

Finema

Thanks Martin and Esben.
I've understand now.....  ;)

Finema

here my last test >
i don't know why i have white scratches on the glass

TpwUK

It's a good looking result to me Finema - Do you mean the banding, I have seen that in real glass too, it could be down to the tessellation on import if you used raw NURBs with no render mesh. If i remember rightly you can adjust the density of the mesh under your documents properties in Rhino

Martin

Finema

Thanks Martin !!
You are right ! It a pleasure to learn with guy like you :)
thanks again  ;)