Medical Device Accessories

Started by DigzumJay, June 25, 2015, 07:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigzumJay

Hey guys,

Wanted to post some shots from some work over the last year. They are by no means "amazing shots", and its a little intimidating with some of the great artists around here. But its where I'm at, and would love any feedback on improving the realism and overall look. I work in the medical device industry, so I have to wait for projects to either get released to the public or canned altogether before I can post shots, so there is alot more recent stuff I'd love to post but can't. But here are some examples from the past year. Thanks!

edwardo

These are great... a million miles away from what i do my self, but i have huge respect for the clarity and accurate representation of materials you guys have to get with your medical renders. You say their not 'amazing' shots, but with these types of renders you get practically zero artistic licence to make an eye-popping shot - I guess the aim is to describe the materials and the shapes as accurately as possible rather than create sexy brochure shots.

Youv done a real nice job, especially the clear plastics

E

Speedster

Great work!  And so familiar, as that's my business also.  You've nailed the transparency, and all work together. The Toughy valves and coiled sheath are super!

Oh yes- the "Trays from Hell", my least favorite modeling work! I always do them as "sheet metal" so we can get a flat pattern. Good job on the plastic!

I've found that I have to educate my clients as to the differences between engineering models and those used for rendering.  Minor, but especially in areas like the fit of tubing, barbs and pockets.  Back in the "old days" of KeyShot 1 and 2, we were still figuring things out.  So a properly modeled barb, mated in an accurately modeled tubing ID, would actually occlude, resulting in a black interface between the two. So I remodel the barb (as it's usually an OEM) to provide a .001 clearance.  Tube pockets not, as there's usually a .002 clearance anyway between the ID and the OD of the tubing to allow for UV bonding.

So now, and for a lot of reasons, I usually create two models (or configurations), one for Engineering Release, and the other for KeyShooting. And actually, often a separate model just for patent drawings.  Speaking of which, we have successfully gotten KeyShot Toons past the Patent Inspectors and into the drawing standards!

Share more!

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

Josh3D

These look great Dustin! Thanks for sharing. Really looking forward to more.

DigzumJay

@speedster Hey Bill, thank you for the kind words!  Yes, I did the same for the packing trays. Sheet metal so I can flatten it for the die line and pop it up for all other models.

I've been learning that lesson this past year about having separate models. For a whole array of reasons, but mainly because the stuff we work on is so small, I have to exaggerate some features pretty heavily to get the look I want. Scale models don't always reproduce nice renders, especially on this micro scale. It seems backwards, but it gets the job done.

There is a ton I'm still trying to learn. My models mostly seem to float in open space. I'm really working on getting a good natural look of a product set down on a surface. Been giving me some difficulty, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Really appreciate the feedback!

Speedster

I've given up on placing devices in context, with maybe a few exceptions.  They always want them to float, for some reason.  It's like the "I'm-sick-of-seeing-it blue", which pervades the medical industry.  I finally talked a client into charcoal, burnt orange and dove grey, which blew everybody away when it hit the market.  The focus groups (ya, right!) loved it!

For most work I render as a TIFF with alpha, and with no ground shadows.  Then add Drop Shadows in Photoshop.  That's what they want...

Bill G

DigzumJay

@speedster God, the blues. Even in my images you can see 50 shades of blue. Blue products, blue logos, blue boxes, blue websites..............

I'll have to give the drop shadow in PS a try. None of the photos above have made it into Photoshop yet, but it seems like that's the next step. Keyshot to make the photos, PS to clean and finalize the photo. Just haven't spent any time with that yet. Thanks Bill!

Speedster

Don't forget the clown pass!  A god-send in post!  I still chuckle when I think about the first time I included clowns in the image package for a client's ad agency.  About five minutes after I hit send, I got a call wondering what the hell was with those awful colored renderings!  After I explained how they are used in post, they went nuts, and now require clowns for all incoming rendering.  But I don't know if other rendering apps do clowns!  I call it job security!

Here's one product "in context", which did the job, I guess.  And one showing the drop shadows.  But they do look good in print and on their website.

Bill G