UV texture mapping how

Started by krzysztofel, June 25, 2015, 12:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krzysztofel

hi friends, I have a problem with the automatic mapping texture. In IRONCAD is well-inserted texture as natural mode, but as exports to KeyShot sequentially changing the distribution of texture UV mode not getting the same thing.

guest83783

Push this post dude, there are very few responses for UV mapping, they just fall on deaf ears

TpwUK

It's not that it falls on deaf ears, more that you should study and understand UV mapping and how it's applied. It's not an easy subject, although UV Mapping apps such as Substance Painter make it look surprisingly easy. but to put it really simply, For UV Mapping to work as it should, you need an underlying mesh that has equal densities to avoid stretching and or tearing. UV mapping can work on Polygon or NURBs surfaces, but NURBs models are notoriously difficult to UV map because the underlying render meshes are not true polygon meshes and the surfaces created by the modelling app will have differing densities and will have edge loops and seams that don't marry up.

So as a simple rule of thumb try and abide by using ...

• Polygon modelling for UV mapping of Bitmapped textures/materials
  • NURBs modelling for using textures and materials based upon Procedural Shaders

I hope this helps you to understand this complex subject a little easier.

Martin

edwardo

I still have hopes that one day (soon) life will be easy and the computer will do a good job of interpreting NURBS data (or even converting it on the fly or dynamic tessellation etc). With a bit of work I can take a nurbs model from Rhino, export obj into zbrush, dynamesh it and begin to clean it up and re-top. Surely it won't be too long before this can be 'click of a button' stuff?

On a slight tangent, whats peoples opinions of what the best app to export mesh from a nurbs model. I use rhino, which I think is great all round app... but the meshes it outputs are horrible!! I play about with settings a bit, but they are always pretty nasty. I have yet to decide which sub-d package to invest my time into learning (cinema 4d/maya etc).

I downloaded a trial of "substance painter" a few weeks ago... gonna play about with it before it expires!

E

TpwUK

I use MoI3D for exporting polygon meshes as it's considered by many as the best converter between NURBs and Poly. It's also created by the guy who did Rhino and created the open 3DM library so it works pretty much seamlessly with Rhino models.

As far as subD goes, I prefer Modo over C4d and Maya, but only from a modelling point of view.

Martin

guest83783

Thanks Martin,

I understand a little bit about it but it's a clearing process that I pick up when I need it, hence the reason I bought Keyshot and not another package ;)

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=10828.0

We're using a rendering package...  We need examples and examples to follow. Luxion examples are basic when it comes to UV mapping, yes we can learn but just stating the fact doesn't help.  Your direction wes incorrect in the post I made above.  Rhino does UV map NURBS and your example wasn't using a standard rhino object which doesn't help people who've bought the program and maybe baulk at the idea of spending the same again for a plugin or another program.  I find it's better to learn to use what you've got, it's a life's work :)

It's frustrating when we have to search the net for stuff or there isn't a generic post that we can be referred to when a question is asked time and time again.

Thanks again

Andy