HDRI or a 3D model of an interior space?

Started by blessid, November 29, 2013, 06:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blessid

Hey guys,

So im currently doing an internship and one of my projects is a lighting project. In short, my boss wants me to render my pendant light concepts in context, and has suggested i could make a scene in solidworks that i can use as my environment (in this case they will be dislayed in a bar/restaurant and are to hang over the counter). I suggested that using HDRI environments may be easier, but ive had some trouble finding a good HDRI contemporary bar scene that is free, and good quality. Ive also searched for 3D modelled interiors, with the idea of applying my own materials to an existing 3D model of a bar interior (though maybe this is too laborious anyway???). I cant seem to find any of a wine bar, again, for free?

Can anybody recommend where to find a good 3D model of a wine bar interior? Or a good HDRI of a contemporary bar?
And any other tips on how best to execute this?

Thanks in advance,
Luke

bn86

Hi Luke,

You might find something useful here: http://www.idst-render.com/scenes.html

Some really great free models, full of detail.. There are no textures or anything, so you have to do that yourself - but the models are good enough that even some basic material work can make them look great :)

There's a couple of restaurants in there, which could probably be made to look like wine bars.

I'm new to interiors with Keyshot, so while I haven't really figured it out yet, I can suggest you might want to try taking off the ceiling and a few walls to get some light in. There are some nice tips on the forum about lighting interiors, including advice about keeping the room sealed and letting all the light come through the window, but I just can't wait that long for the grain to clear.. If you've got any interior lighting tips, let me know!

p.s. I can't seem to find good HDRI interiors period. Everything seems to be for rendering cars. Any sites I should be checking out?

Cheers

blessid

Hey,

I have actually come across this site before but couldn't find what i wanted. There are some great models on there, and to be honest i probably being to fussy! I'll take your advice i think and download some of the restaurant/kitchen interiors and play with those! Nice idea!

Interiors with KeyShot is pretty new stuff to me too. As a product designer i only really want to interiors so that i have nice environments to render my products (in this instance, lighting). HDRI's provide good lighting, but unless you are doing something like a car, they are pretty hard to use as your back ground image without them looking a bit balls! (one good method is to model part of a scene then drop it into a HDRI. For example, if you want to render a vase, pop it on a table and have that floating in your HDRI. No good for me in this case, as I'm designing pendant lighting!).

These sound like great tips, and i'll check out that site! I always imagined having the light coming through a window would generally be the best method. Though i suppose it depends on the purpose of the scene per instance. In terms of having any tips myself, i suppose it depends on your purpose? Are you rendering scenes you have modelled?

Ditto on the HDRI scenario. One thing that may be worth trying is HDRI LightStudio. You can download a free demo from the site: http://www.hdrlightstudio.com. I haven't tried it my self (as i want to get to grips with the basics of KeyShot lighting before a daunt myself with anything else!) but i know it is quite a versatile software that enables you to add some great HDRI environments with the versatility to add your own point lights, spotlights, etc. etc. within the software. I think its a stand alone software but in is designed to integrate seamlessly with KeyShot. Give it a go and tell me what you think?

Luke

Arn

Is it possible to make HDRi images from 3D geometry in Keyshot? Building an environment yourself and then creating a perfect custom HDRi seems a great way of streamlining things.

I guess you could muck about with a huge field of view, maybe I need to experiment with that a bit.