KeyShot 6 Beta Renderings

Started by Esben Oxholm, June 27, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Hi all.

Just wanted to showoff some of the renderings that I've done lately with the KeyShot 6 Beta.
The new features that really does it for me is the material graph editor (especially being able to use a map for roughness and use multiple bump maps is so nice) and the real time render region view. It really speeds up adjusting specific materials.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to elaborate :)
The Ray-Bans and the Vilac Ride On is modeled by dimensiva.com. The rest I did in Rhino.

Happy Saturday y'all.

Arn

Are they all materials, or are there textures besides the obvious ones too? I guess the former, right? I noticed the lock one before and it is exactly the kind of stuff the Keyshot 6 features seem to be great for. Stacking several effects or patterns should yield some pretty convincing results, as these are too.

All this teasing is making me hungry :)

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Arn on June 27, 2015, 02:38:38 PM
Are they all materials, or are there textures besides the obvious ones too?

Hi Arn. Not quite sure what you mean. I've used several textures to create the materials. Both procedurals from within KeyShot and also from images found on e.g. cgtextures.com

Arn

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on June 27, 2015, 02:48:15 PM
Hi Arn. Not quite sure what you mean. I've used several textures to create the materials. Both procedurals from within KeyShot and also from images found on e.g. cgtextures.com
Sorry, I could have been more clear. I meant to ask whether it was all done with stacked procedurals. I only tend to call bitmap images textures, but maybe my terminology is off.

Can you indicate which bits are done which way? I am curious to see how stacked procedurals fare outside of a Keyshot demo :)

Despot

Great images Esben, haven't seen the pills one before...

You can't have 'stacked' materials as such in KS6 as there is no layering system... you can, of course, achieve something similar by using multiple transparent labels

J

Arn

Quote from: The Metal Master on June 28, 2015, 04:47:20 AM
Great images Esben, haven't seen the pills one before...

You can't have 'stacked' materials as such in KS6 as there is no layering system... you can, of course, achieve something similar by using multiple transparent labels

J
I was under the impression that the material graph would allow for this, though calling that a series might be more accurate than a stack. It seems I have misunderstood what the graph does and can do.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Arn.
I've attached three examples of the material graph.

One for the pill container material (where I've 'stacked' two bump textures) and one for the material for the Vilac Ride On, where I've have blended two different materials by applying one of them as label with a transparency map onto a base material. I probably went a bit overboard here ;) The other label is the actual label with the skull.

The third one is the brushed padlock material. I used one bitmap texture (Texture map) and the rest is procedurals.

I hope this clarifies things a bit :)

@Metal Master.
Thanks J. That is because the pill one is new :)

Despot

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on June 28, 2015, 10:18:41 AM
@Metal Master.
Thanks J. That is because the pill one is new :)

Out of all your images, it's my favourite.... I think it deserves to be in the KS6 gallery  :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

I'm really loving that vilac ride. That perfectly blended decal on the side really does the final touch! Also loving the subtle specular effects on the padlock shot.

Arn

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on June 28, 2015, 10:18:41 AM
Hi Arn.
I've attached three examples of the material graph.

One for the pill container material (where I've 'stacked' two bump textures) and one for the material for the Vilac Ride On, where I've have blended two different materials by applying one of them as label with a transparency map onto a base material. I probably went a bit overboard here ;) The other label is the actual label with the skull.

The third one is the brushed padlock material. I used one bitmap texture (Texture map) and the rest is procedurals.

I hope this clarifies things a bit :)
Thanks for the extensive answer! :) That helps a lot. It seems the material graph does pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. It looks like you can go crazy stacking and mixing effects. Seeing things like curvature procedurals included is exciting, that should allow for some pretty advanced and convincing setups.

Have you done the depth of field in Keyshot or in post?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Arn on June 30, 2015, 03:17:18 PM
Have you done the depth of field in Keyshot or in post?

In KeyShot. I'm able to get a way more convincing result this way. It cost a bit on the render time, but I think it is worth it.

Esben Oxholm

French Vintage Stool. Modeling done in Rhino and Marvelous Designer. Scene setup, light, materials and rendering with the KeyShot 6 Beta.
What do you think?

I'll post some process screenshots tomorrow :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

This one is absolutely gorgeous Esben. Love everything about this image, from the cloth to the wood material.

Looking forward to the process screenshots :)

Esben Oxholm

Thanks Magnus.
Here it is:

1.Rhino model
2. Wood material
3. Metal material (customisation of the 'bare metal' material from the cloud)
4. Scene setup
5. HDRI Environment

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to help :)

PhilippeV8

Almost unbelievable this is a render ... (y)