Main Menu

Worn Edges Example

Started by Despot, July 11, 2015, 12:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

This was done for Steve Talkowski really... using the same principle seen in the teapot render, namely, applying carefully chosen textures to each Curvature colour value.

It works quite well... apart from there is no way to apply a different roughness value and/or bump to the area boundaries created by curvature

J

TpwUK

Looks pretty good J...

@ The Dev Team - I like curvatures flexibility but it needs some way of feathering between the zones so maps can merge more realistically rather than the sharp cutoffs at present.

Martin

SteveTalkowski

This is promising! Though, that cutoff is pretty sharp. I'd need more of an explanation on how to set this up. Quick tutorial video anyone? :)

-Steve

Despot

I'll record a video tomorrow Steve...

J

slater

Quote from: SteveTalkowski on July 11, 2015, 01:23:27 PM
This is promising! Though, that cutoff is pretty sharp. I'd need more of an explanation on how to set this up. Quick tutorial video anyone? :)

-Steve
;D

Despot

;D

Ooh, sorry Slater - daddy forgot, it's your feeding time again... and maybe after, if you're good, you can go and play with the other little trolls  ;D

soren

Just happened to see this post again. See attached material graph for how to use curvature with multiple texture maps and increasing control of the transition between the areas.

I use a color key mask to select red/blue from the curvature, but if you do not wish to distinguish between positive and negative curvature you can just set positive/negative to black and use directly as input to Color Composite/Source alpha.

I have noted that we may wish to add some increased control of falloff/blending directly to the curvature procedural.

Despot

Brilliant Soren, thank you - would you be able to attach the actual .kmp file, rather than building from scratch ?

J

soren

Here you go - a version just with procedurals (ugly as ...., but you get the idea). When tweaking parameters for this thing, it can quite useful to use the node preview functionality (select a node and hit C for color, A for alpha and B for bump).

(attachment deleted, see below).

Despot

Cheers for that Soren, much appreciated...  :)

slater

[quote author=The Metal Master link=topic=10845.msg53297#msg53297

Ooh, sorry Slater - daddy forgot, it's your feeding time again... and maybe after, if you're good, you can go and play with the other little trolls  ;D
[/quote]
Is an ironic answer?..especially "play with the other little trolls? "

Despot

Yes, of course it's ironic Slater  :)

Anyway, your prayers have been answered, there is now a tutorial/file for you to play with, providing of course you have KeyShot 6

J

djorzgul

Looking super interesting.
Wish I had mat graph for my date material... But, alas...

soren

We recently fixed a bug which caused the mtl-file I uploaded earlier to be slightly incorrect - the Curvature node was duplicated which was not intentional. I have attached an updated mtl.

Additionally, I added another (simpler) one demonstrating how to use curvature with a color gradient node to obtain full flexibility of the colors and falloff behaviour.

/Søren

djorzgul

So jealous  ::)
Off topic>>
It looks like super fun thing to use. Recently I try Substance designer and it's node based procedural workflow is pretty cool... Somehow reminds me on this...