Clear Plastic Help

Started by whyyouwanna, August 15, 2015, 04:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyyouwanna

Hi everyone.

I've been trying to render my model with the dual layered plastic like the Philips product example I have attached with this post. Unfortunately I've been unable to match the transparent outer surface.

Any tips or advice?

I've uploaded the keyshot file also. Thanks.

joseph

Hi. I am not KeyShot guru but I think you need a thicker clear plastic part so the you can see the effect of the refraction. As it is increasing the refraction index doesn't show much. The the base of the Philips image has a noticeable thicker material that gives that refractive effect. It is like a lens, thinner less pronounce the thicker the more obvious refractive index. Also, please increase the smoothness. Hope this helps, regards

NDenekamp

I think the look of a material like this is going to depend a lot on the lighting environment used. Go through the various options in the keyshot library and see what works and what doesn't. Also maybe an increase in the ray bounces on the settings pane will help make the acrylic more realistic.

For the inner plastic, play around with its roughness value. the depth of this kind of layering comes party from the crisp reflections on the clear plastic, and the diffuse appearance of the layer beneath it.

Hope that helps!

N

Will Gibbons

Yes, I second the lighting. You want a high contrast white and black studio scene. Also, it might be an issue with your plastic thickness. Sometimes when two surfaces touch in KeyShot, light doesn't pass though them correctly. You may need some 'air' between the clear plastic. Also, try the gem material or glass... those can yield better results than plastic sometimes.