Main Menu

Eternity Ring

Started by Chad Holton, August 19, 2015, 10:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

Ok Chad, how do we prevent the metal part (particularly the round holes) to be visible TROUGH the diamonds.  I can see it bleeding trough in the patriot version from Martin and I can see it in my keyshot ... you got ridd of it in your renders.  How did you do that ?  Lighting ? Material tweek ? ... ?

Chad Holton

Hey Philippe - It's most likely the refraction index for the gem's properties that you will need to mess with. Crank it up to around 2.5 or so and go from there. Post what you end up with or if you have any other questions.

Chad

PhilippeV8

It was at 2.4 something .. near 2.5
I turned on internal culling, which slows the render a lot, but seems to do the trick.

I think from what I can see in Martins render here, that the culling is on for his white stones, but off for blue and red ones.

TpwUK

Hi Philippe - My settings were internal culling for all, custom Ruby colour as it's supposed to resemble pigeon blood, the the transparency settings were altered to suit :)

Martin

PhilippeV8

Here's what I'm talking about .. which you don't see on Chads renders.
As you can see you've got that with the red and the blue .. not with the white.

TpwUK

I would hazard a guess at this being caused by the IOR and transparency levels ... I don't know if it's a bug or just conflicting settings :/

Martin

PhilippeV8

Check the difference I get with/without culling ........

Chad Holton

Philippe - I see what you're saying and think I know the reason. The diamond material already has an IR of 2.5 and since you're using diamonds alone, you only need internal culling turned on (to remove the metal reflections). If using other stock gem stones on this scene, you may need to adjust the RI & Transparency as they have a different default value.

Will Gibbons

These are insanely clean! Love them.