Main Menu

help me decide

Started by edwardo, August 24, 2015, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardo

Hello, I currently have an up to date MBP, quad-core, getting 59fps on the camera scene. This does most of my tasks just fine, but will be wanting to get some more processing power soonish. I have compared a mac pro (specs maxed out) against a box of similar spec (slightly lesser spec actually). I was surprised to see that the Mac pro came out slightly cheaper. I want a machine with at least 12 cores (24threads) but don't want to arse around with networking, so a Boxx or MacPro seem the best choices at the moment (unless I get a custom build?).

Can anyone comment on what might be a good choice? I prefer mac os, and owning a Mac Pro would have uses in other fields, whereas a Boxx would basically be a dedicated render machine.

Anyone heard of any rumours of a 2 processor Mac Pro? 2x12 core=48 threads.... that would be nice!

Speedster

I LOVE my BOXX 32 core (16, hyper-threaded) machine!  Absolutely bullet-proof, and super fast.  Mine is a high end machine with a high price, but the BOXX sales folks can help guide you- do talk to them.  They don't sell computers, the sell solutions.
Bill G

edwardo

Thanks Bill. Whats your fps on the camera scene? And do you use your box as your main workstation/pc (i.e. does it handle heavy modelling ok) I'v heard they are rock solid, and have great support service if you need it... I just didn't think they would be as pricey as they are!

E

TpwUK

Hi Edwardo ...
QuoteAnyone heard of any rumours of a 2 processor Mac Pro? 2x12 core=48 threads.... that would be nice!

That would be a Hackintosh Edwardo or could be a MacPro with HT disabled. As far as i know Mac OS X only official supports 24 threads but can handle a max of 32, so anything above that does not get seen or you have to remove Hyper Threading.

If you are wanting a Mac Pro then look at the 5,1 (2010-2012) models, that have great expandability in the case like a PC, and I would advise replacing the gfx card with a new ATI R9 series as they have a true EFI BIOS on them so you would get the full boot screens to do diagnostics if needs be.

Give https://create.pro/configure a go unless you want the new 6,1 which has massive expansion capabilities via external devices but looks like a "Trashcan", there is some great guides on create.pro's website too if you need help deciding. These can be found here http://create.pro/blog/mac-pro-guides/

I am also selling my 24 thread PC box here shortly, it has dual E5-2620v2 and 32Gb RAM, liquid cooling 1200 watt gold/platinum power supply and a 2Gb Nvidia GTX660Ti throw me a private message if you're interested :)

Martin

Speedster

QuoteWhats your fps on the camera scene?

224 fps. 

BOXX is pricy, but their reputation, build quality and support are superior to any other company I've worked with.  Talk to Michael Walls at mwalls@boxxtech.com rather than trying to get an RFQ from their website, as there are so many options, and he can design a system specific to your needs.

Understand that my BOXX is my primary tool, on which I earn a living as a self-employed (43 years) Industrial Designer and medical device designer. I'm on for like 8-10 hours a day.  It absolutely screams with KeyShot!  Look also at their mobile multi-core machines that are more reasonable, yet are fully loaded.

Bill G

Robb63

My BOXX had been running almost 24 hours a day for four years now. I'm on it modeling large assemblies in SolidWorks, Rhino, and of course Keyshot.
They are pricey, but as Bill mentioned this is my work tool. If it breaks down I'm not earning a living.

I will definitely buy from them again (about another year). They had pretty good leasing programs too, which is what I did to get over the high price. My lease ended last year and I bought the system for $1 at the end.

edwardo

Thanks all. All very helpful advice.

E