struggling with wrinkled plastic

Started by ahyde, September 01, 2015, 06:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahyde

hello everyone,

I'm having a real hard time getting this plastic bag material to render accurately. If anyone has some tips on how to improve this I would love to know.

Below is a photo of the material

Below is my best result so far (I have not seriously worked on the other materials yet).

I even tried photographing the bag and using it as a color and bump texture here are those files. I did not use these for the image above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2ruwgecwjox1r1/bag%20color.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bptlrnoic0yt78e/bag%20texture.jpg?dl=0

Here is the KeyShot file if anyone would like to dig in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyu2fe7v4gsorw4/bag.ksp?dl=0

Thank you in advance!

Aidan

Speedster

Ah, the "crushed baloon"!  Try pulling a TIFF with alpha, but against a black background.  Then comp it against white with a drop shadow. A clown pass helps.  I had some success with this technique to enhance the "crinkles".
Bill G

edwardo

I don't have any suggestions for you - was just going to comment on what a decent effort you have so far... difficult thing to model and render!

E

ahyde

Quote from: Speedster on September 01, 2015, 06:53:04 PM
Ah, the "crushed baloon"!  Try pulling a TIFF with alpha, but against a black background.  Then comp it against white with a drop shadow. A clown pass helps.  I had some success with this technique to enhance the "crinkles".
Bill G

Hi Bill, I appreciate your reply and agree it needs more "crinkle" but you're using some terminology I'm not familiar with, do you mind elaborating? what does "pull a tiff with alpha, against a black background" mean?

Thanks,

Aidan

ahyde

Quote from: edwardo on September 02, 2015, 01:06:45 AM
I don't have any suggestions for you - was just going to comment on what a decent effort you have so far... difficult thing to model and render!

E

Hi Edwardo,

Thanks for the encouragement, when i saw you replied i was hoping for more... i've seen some amazing renderings of yours on this forum.

Aidan

Speedster

Quotebut you're using some terminology I'm not familiar with, do you mind elaborating?

Sorry!  Sometimes I even confuse myself!

The end goal, which may or may not work for you, is to add some "black into the shadows", etc. of the balloon. This will not specifically affect the balloon material, which may need some additional tweaking.

So start by making your background black, not white, and also uncheck "ground shadows".  You may have to test the background color, as a dark grey may work better. But start with black and follow the steps below first.

Next, instead of rendering a JPEG, render a TIFF, with the "alpha" checked.  This will automatically drop out the background when you place it into Photoshop.  But the black that is within the model area will remain.

Be sure to check (select) "Clown Pass" when you render it out!  This will really help you in post!

When all done, start by "Open With" (in Photoshop), and select the clown pass as the first layer.  Then "Place" the beauty shot on top of it, and IMMEDIATELY lock the layers!

Now you can place a color layer between the clown and beauty shots, and use that new layer as your "background".  It can be a color, or a JPEG, whatever you want.

Now you can add a Drop Shadow to the beauty layer and tweak it as you will.

As I said, this may or may not work for you, but it has for me.

And I agree- that's one hell of a model!  Good job!!

Bill G

ahyde

Hi Bill,

Thank you! Got it, good explanation, I'll give it a try.

Aidan