KEYSHOT to LIGHTWAVE 3D

Started by GreyJay, September 04, 2015, 08:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreyJay

Hello folks.

I have imported models into KS and I now need to animate them in Lightwave 3D.  After painstakingly separating the parts in KS, I export my model as a .OBJ, but the file size is enormous! When I import the model into Lightwave, I see that there are entirely too many polygons (which is probably why the file size is huge)

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with going for KS to LW, or if there might be an alternative workaround for something like this?

Thanks all,

-----------
SYSTEM: OSX 10.10.5, 3.2GHZ Intel Core i5, 24GB RAM
KEYSHOT: Version  5
LIGHTWAVE: 11.6
-----------

TpwUK

You have not said what modelling app did the model that imported into KS. It's possible the originating modelling app could have exported to OBJ or LWO.

Martin
(TpwUK)

GreyJay

Sorry TpwUK,

The models I am importing into KeyShot are done in CREO and saved in .SAT format.

INNEO_MWo

Hello GreyJay.

You can probably export the obj-File (Lightwave) from Creo with full control of length or angle to reduce the polys. As well you can import the big obj-File but to reduce the mesh inside Creo, you need the REX-Feature (extra License for Restyle Extension).

or

You can import the creo files directly into KeyShot and play with the settings inside the import dialog to reduce the polys. I'm sure that you can find the balance between entity number (polys) and resulted file size from the obj-export.

But, what is the benefit of the obj-File inside the CAD? You lose all the textures and colors.

IMHO I would prepare all the necessary CAD geometry in Creo and push it into KeyShot with the plugin (with activated live linking option). So KS can handle the rendering and keep all the structure information.

hope that this ideas will help to find your solution.

TpwUK

Thanks for the OBJ export option info MWo :)

@GreyJay ... Export OBJ from Creo following MSo's tips, then import the OBJ into Lightwave and save as LWO. You should now be able to animate the file as you want. Keep in mind though that KS5 can only animate via transformations and not deformations. Once your animation is complete, bake and export the animated as FBX and include the lightwave camera with the export. You should now be able to import the FBX into KS for materialising and for rendering the sequence.

Martin