Looking for new workstation i7 4720HQ vs i7 4790

Started by kubafootbag, September 05, 2015, 08:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kubafootbag

Hello everyone,

There's a lot of topics like this, I know. I've read most of them on the forum but since I'm not much evolved into computers recently I got confused trying find optimum configuration for my new machine for working with KeyShot.

Now I use my 6-year-old laptop Sony Vaio VGN-BZ12XN with CPU Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26 GHz having 13,7 fps at the test.

With that configuration using Keyshot is hardly possible so I need something new.

As my budget is limited to roughly 1200 euro, I hesitate between some of ASUS laptops with CPU Intel Core i7-4720HQ (4 cores, from 2.60 GHz to 3.60 GHz, 6 MB cache) or desktop computer with Intel Core i7-4790 8x 3.6GHz Turbo Boost: 4.0GHz CPU.

As I did short research on the forum, first of them gets about 35 fps and second one about 60 fps.

Could anyone prove that?

Actually I need a new laptop but if the deskop computer was twice as fast as asus laptop, for sure I would choose the desktop one.

On the other hand, I'm a bit afraid about thermal effects - cooling systems are undoubtely better in desktop computers. moreover, at any forum of asus latptops phrase "throttling" is being mentioned all the time so I guess it's not very promising for working with Keyshot.

Best wishes,

Kuba

TpwUK

The i7-4790K is as good a processor you can put on an 1155 socket. If you are running it as standard and depending on RAM speed you should see figures in the 63 to 75fps on the camera benchmark scene. Overclocking will give you 80 to 120fps, although I have never seen the 120fps from this chip, I have a reliable source that says he gets that kind of speed consistently but of course with added complexity the fps rate will drop.

My old setup was in i7-4790K and it was on an auto tune giga-byte motherboard used to score 93 to 98 fps with 16Gb RAM @ 1600Mhz

Martin

Arn

When it comes to tasks like rendering, a desktop computer always wins out. It offers more performance for the same price, and does its job a lot cooler too. The main drawback is that it is not a laptop. Carrying it around is a chore.

Would it be feasible to keep your laptop around for the lighter, more mundane tasks, while having the muscle at home to do some more serious work?