corrugated board

Started by Emilio, November 20, 2010, 08:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emilio

I need as material: corrugated paperboard with a white cover finish and with a natural corrugated beige finish, in any case both with the line structure somewhat visible.
How can I realise this?
The white version must look as a high quality corrugated board with this line structure and the natural/beige one as normal luxury corrugated board.
Who wants to help with this?

JeffM

You can do this with a simple normal map loaded into a white or natural cardboard colored material to bring out the line effect from the corrugation.

When loading a normal map into the "bump texture" portion of the material you will need to make sure to enable "normal map mode" so that you get the proper effect.

Here is just such a normal map for you to try:

keyshot.com/images/CardboardNormal2.jpg

I think Brian has a more detailed post coming up for ya :)

Brian Townsend

Hi Emilio,

The normal map that Jeff mentioned will get you the ridges you are looking for on the cardboard.  You can also supplement that with a scanned texture of actual cardboard and apply that image in the 'texture' tab in your material settings.  If you don't have the means to scan a texture you can find very high quality textures at www.cgtextures.com.  I put together two different examples of your material with textures from that site.

The first example uses the 'advanced material'.  The second uses the 'Translucent' and that is how you can see light passing through the material and showing the interior corrugation. I've included the .bip files for your reference.

In the future if you aren't sure how to create a normal map, you can also use a bump map which simulates surface height using black and white values.  Black is interpreted as lower and white is interpreted as raised.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Emilio

Hi Brian, hi Jeff,

Thanks for your help and efforts and nice link to cg textures!
I think this will solve my problem.
To scale this textures is also possible I presume within Keyshot.
I also presume that the corrugated interior is created in the CAD fil it self, is it?

I have built the box within Solid Works with sheet-metal, so how can I add a different texture or clor to the interior? It is only one part within SolidWorks.

Emilio Schwarz

guest84672

Assign a different color to the individual surfaces inside SolidWorks prior to exporting.