Inventor 2016 Models in Keyshot

Started by Andor, September 25, 2015, 08:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andor

Will it be possible to put 2016 Inventor Models in to KeyShot?

Does anyone know the easiest way to work around this problem?
What program or something should I have to import an Inventor file in something thats makes it able to import it in to KeyShot?

Thanks in advance!

Merijn

Does anyone know the answer to this question yet?
Exporting to catia is not a suitable solution for me, as I rely heavily on the keyshot rounded edges function and those fillets look horrible on the catia files.

TpwUK

The two formats that are handled really well by KeyShot as all-rounders are STEP and OBJ.

Martin

PhilippeV8

yeah step/iges/obj ... but sometimes and with certain formats you tend to lose all object hierarchy ... best is always to import iam or ipt... if you can.

Merijn

Importing iam files has not worked for me yet.
I am getting the no geometry error for every file that I tried.

Is there some way to prevent this from the inventor side? Do I need to stop using certain features?

TpwUK

Quote from: Merijn on January 22, 2016, 03:30:35 AM
Importing iam files has not worked for me yet.
I am getting the no geometry error for every file that I tried.

Is there some way to prevent this from the inventor side? Do I need to stop using certain features?

If you are getting this error it would suggest that your modelling app is using NURBs, do you get the 'Import NURBs data' option on the import screen. Forgive my ignorance for not knowing but I don't work with inventor files :/

If you don't see that option on import, then can Inventor save as STEP ?

Martin

Merijn

Hi Martin,

No problem, I have always used solidworks. I am new to inventor as well.
Yes it shows the option "import NURBS data" and I have checked it, still does not work.
Exporting to step works, but the tessellation quality is horrible, causing problems with the rounded edges feature.

Merijn

TpwUK

Quote from: Merijn on January 25, 2016, 01:45:43 AM
Hi Martin,

No problem, I have always used solidworks. I am new to inventor as well.
Yes it shows the option "import NURBS data" and I have checked it, still does not work.
Exporting to step works, but the tessellation quality is horrible, causing problems with the rounded edges feature.

Merijn

Hi Merijn, i tried an AI-2016 from GrabCAD to test things here. The file i used was :

https://grabcad.com/library/cover-fuel-pump-1/files/Cover,Fuel%20Pump%203063054.ipt  I chode this file because it was a good combination of straight edges and curved surfaces to test tessellation with.

Imported with these settings, but you may need to set UP as Y  resulting with this 2 minute render

Also note that when working with NURBs you can't really use the rounded edges option, but you will get a warning when or if you decide to try rendering the NURBs model in KS6.

Martin

Merijn

Thanks! Unfortunately, these settings still wont work on my models.
I have made a few different models, but all of them gave this error when imported as a ipt file.

TpwUK

If it's definitely a surface/part or solid and not just a curve or an empty/null object then it needs to be seen by support@luxion.com to see if there is an error with the importer. They are used to handling geometry of a sensitive nature or subject to NDA etc and are totally reliable with such matters. Have you tried the model i linked to on GrabCAD to see if it fails too ? I don't have KS5 here anymore so can't test it, so it might be worth your time contacting beta@luxion.com to see if they will give you a beta version for testing your models with.

If it's a non sensitive model, you can send it to me to try here ... tpwuk at hotmail dot com will get it here 20 mbyte limit if the model is larger than that then use www.wetransfer.com which you can use to mail it to support or directly to myself

Martin

Martin

Merijn

Hey Martin,

I just tried the grabcad file, and I am getting the same error message. So it seems to be either a Keyshot 5 issue, or an issue with my installation.
I will try to reinstall keyshot some time soon and see if that solves this issue.

Thanks for the support!

Merijn