Hi Tessellation VS Nurbs Rendering

Started by 78finn, September 26, 2015, 08:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78finn

I have a quick questions regarding importing and render quality.

I'm wondering what the trade off is regarding importing a model with the highest tessellation possible VS rendering using nurbs?

Using nurbs is obviously the most accurate option, but the rendering time goes through the roof. Rendering with a low tessellation level produces poor results, so never an option either.

I have been importing a number of models into KeyShot with the tessellation set at 1 (the highest level possible), this produces smooth results and a much faster rending time, about twice as fast as a nurbs rendering.  When I compare the high tessellation render VS the nurbs render, I'm not noticing a huge different in output quality? Why?

I assume that importing with the tessellation set at the highest level will put more pressure on my workstation during real time rendering. Is that about the only trade off, or am I missing something else? I have a very fast Workstation (running dual Xeon processors - 16 core), so hi tessellation in real time doesn't really matter. But I want to know what other trade offs I'm making using the highest tessellation settings on import?

Your help would be very much appreciated!

Chad Holton

Higher tessellation will yield higher import times and larger file sizes. Unless you're doing extreme close-ups, you should be able to getaway with a lower tessellation value. Sounds like you prefer not to use NURBS rendering, so start around .9 and work your way up from there.