Key Shot & 3D Modeling

Started by oxfordlad, September 29, 2015, 08:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxfordlad

I am currently looking into purchasing keyshot, I have used if in the past at various clients sites.

My main question is though, what software packages do people do their models in?

I currently use PTC Creo or Wildfire to generate models, most of my work is mechanical engineering. However if I am going to purchase keyshot I would like to be able to offer a rendering service as well. This brings up my question of 3D modeling software. some of the renderings I have seen on here are fantastic but where do all of the models come from?

jhiker

I'm a mechanical engineer designing scientific instruments and associated products and I use GeoMagic (formerly Alibre). It's well-featured and affordable.
'Onshape' & 'Fusion 360' look interesting, too.

Will Gibbons

Because KeyShot is so flexible, the folks here all use many different software to model. I use SolidWorks and MODO, some use C4D, 3Ds Max, Zbrush, MOI, Sketchup... really depends on your end use and what you'll be modeling. If you're mostly doing mech. eng. then you probably can pass on some of the modeling/sculpting tools used to build organic surfaces. Asking around like you are is a good place to start though. Good luck!