Can't Update Rhino Data without everything disappearing

Started by Robb63, July 12, 2016, 02:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

I can use the Render plug-in and everything imports to KS as it is supposed to, but when I work in Rhino and hit the update button everything in my scene in Rhino disappears. The entire model tree is still there, but no parts. Sometimes the last parts I've been working on will be there, but with nothing else. I've tried unhide all, undoing, etc... but nothing brings the data that was there back other than reloading the scene.

I'm using Keyshot 6.2.85 and the Rhino plugin is "keyshot6_rhino5_plugin_1.0.exe"

This has been happening for a while now, but I have been working mainly in SolidWorks lately so I'm only now getting around to reporting it.

guest84672

Is it a camera or possibly a scale issue? Can you share an example?

Robb63

Hi Thomas,
I've attached the Rhino file and two KS files.
Here's what I did....
1. I split the piston into four layers in Rhino then used the KS6 plugin in Rhino and selected "Render". I assigned materials to the models in the tree, and saved this as  "Original Render from Plugin.bip"
2. I went back into Rhino added a fillets to several parts then using the KS6 plugin selected "Update". The scene went completely empty. I saved that as a second KS file named "After Updating using the Plugin.bip".

Note, in this scene there is no geometry (that I can see), the first time I did this a couple of pieces of the piston disappeared, and the rest were still there. The missing pieces were listed in the tree, but their check-boxes were unchecked. Checking the boxes does not make them appear though.

guest84672

MichaelW

Hello Team,

I am having the same issue with Geometry loss after using the update feature in Rhino as well.  Initial model will set up into KeyShot with no issues.  What I've experienced is the updated Geometry will show up in the Scene/Model tree, however the original source Geometry and all associated Materials will be deleted.  The Scene/Model tree shows the original names even though the data is gone. KeyShot 6.2.105 and Rhino   5.12.50810.13095, 8/10/2015

guest84672

I realized that I never took a look at the example from Robb. Looking into it now.

It is interesting to note the "update geometry" seem to work without any problems. Will check into the plugin next. But I noticed that the updated scene is completely empty.

Robb63

I've figured out what is going on (at least in my case) and now I can use this plugin to update my scene!!   :D

I rotated part of an assembly in Rhino, then hit Keyshot "Update" inside Rhino. When I jumped back to Keyshot everything disappeared except the part I had just rotated. That got me thinking, so I went back to Rhino, and moved a different part then hit update. In Keyshot everything disappeared except the part I had just moved.
So, I went back to Rhino made the changes I needed, then selected all,and using the Gumball moved everything in the 'Z' direction 5mm, then moved everything -5mm in 'Z' to get it back to where it was. I hit update, and everything in my scene is updated and nothing has disappeared!!

I've tried this 5 times now, and as long as I transform everything in my Rhino scene as my last step it all stays in the Keyshot scene when I hit 'Update'.

It's an odd, but easy work around.
Hopefully that gives you a clue as to a fix for the plugin as well.

guest84672