Reflection error?

Started by guest83783, October 03, 2015, 03:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest83783

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be seeing this if I created this in real life.

I've modelled a shape in Rhino using T-Splines so I know it's a sound form with no errors...  When I apply a reflective material everything goes a bit Pete Tong.

I've added a succession of images, the last one has been split and reimported...

Any ideas why this is happening?  I've also tried with everything turned up to eleven.

How do I limit the number of internal reflections?

Cheers

Andy

guest83783

Here it is split in two...

guest83783

Finally... Std environment map from Rhino which works well when rotating etc...

Niko Planke

Hey Andy,

The easiest solution in this case would be to increase the roughness of the material to a value over 0 (0.1 should do the trick). You may want to split the inner reflective surface and the outer reflective surface in to two parts to keep the outer material more smooth. You can also reduce the brightness of the reflective material itself to decrease the reflections.

It is possibly the geometry and the perfectly smooth reflecting surface that are causing this look. As in vacuum flask with glass on the inside.

guest83783

Hi Niko,

That was the first thing that I did...  I've split the model and also applied a roughness but the inside needs to be reflective too.

Basically it looks as though there are an infinite number of internal reflections and there's no way of telling it to reflect only once.

If you look at the 4th image down i'd already split it and put the roughness on the outside - it tried on the inside too but the artefact is still there but obv rougher.

Hoping from a response from luxion to see what can be done.