Can one store the properties of lighting materials in the file?

Started by JST, September 22, 2015, 09:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JST

I have some interiors to produce renderings of.  I am not using the environment lights, the spaces have a ceiling with "can lights", and there is some other detail lighting.

These all seem to need to be manually re-set up every single time any revised bip file is imported.  The material template seems to specifically exclude these items, even though they are set up as materials.   

It's a big nuisance, and it would seem that there is, or should be, a better way.  If so, I have not yet found it.  Manual is a little clumsy to use, you almost need the answer you want in order to know what to search for to get the answer.

TpwUK

I don't understand what it is you are trying to achieve or how detailed the interior scenes are. If you have bulbs, use IES lights. If you are lighting with HDR and open sides to get the light bouncing around a bit, the use Emitters where the lights lenses are and adjust the emitters strengths to suit the scene (lights normally look over exposed). I hope this helps a little ?

Martin

JST

The question is NOT about what to use, I have that OK.  I know about IES, but am actually using a diffuse source for the bulbs so far, as it seems to work best.  Not the issue.

No idea why it matters here, but good number of scene details, tile on wall, decorative items, etc, etc.

It is an interior scene, don't want the outside environment lighting. Assume it's nighttime.

Problem is that unlike ALL other settings, the properties of the source are not preserved except in the .bip file.  They do not seem to be in the materials template. 

If I modify the scene in the originating CAD, and so bring in a new .bip file, applying the template works fine for anything EXCEPT the light sources.   So I have to go around and re-enter each one for material, brightness, etc.  NOTHING is remembered about light sources, unlike all other material types.

What I want to avoid is having to re-specify the light sources each and every time a small change to the scene is made and an updated .bip file is brought in.

TpwUK

Ah, now i understand, but sadly have no experience with what your problem is ... sorry :/

Martin