Will fade animation fade lighting??

Started by theAVator, October 12, 2015, 08:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

If you have a group of objects, one of which has a light material applied to it (area light or IES spot light), and you apply a fade animation to the group... does the light fade in intensity as well? Or how does that get handled?

example: If I have a vehicle with headlights and I apply a fade animation to show an internal component, will the headlights fade or will I be left with 2 bright spots and everything else faded back?

PhilippeV8

I noticed yesterday ... that a light object does NOT fade.  I had to translate it "into the ceiling" in order to make it look as tho the light is turned off.

I hope this gets sorted in KS6.  Fade modifier on a light working like a dimmer would be awesome indeed.

soren

You can do that with material animations. Use e.g. a number fade and connect it to either power or multiplier on the light material node.

PhilippeV8

Søren .. that's KS6 you're talking about, right ?

soren

Yes, that is in the KeyShot 6 material graph. The fade animation will fade the object, but not the material properties. The material graph animation will fade the light itself.

Søren

Heman

Using the material graph, I was able to create a Number Fade and attach it to the Power node of the Area Light Diffuse material to turn on the light.  Now how do I turn the light off in the same animation?  I'm able to create a second Number Fade but if I try to attach it to the Power node of the Area Light Diffuse material, it kicks off the initial Number Fade.  Is there a way I can attach two Number Fades to one material? Thanks.

bdesign

Hey Heman-

Here's an alternate method for controlling light visibility at various points along the timeline: Set your Area Light to the desired color and brightest (fully on) intensity, then connect a Color Fade animation node to the Color of the Area Light. You can then fade in/out and switch on/off via the color value. In my example, the light fades in from 0K (black) to 6500K, switches off/on abruptly, then fades out from 6500K to 0K.

Eric
https://vimeo.com/185352320