Main Menu

BMW E46 M3 CSL Rim

Started by guest84672, March 08, 2010, 01:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest84672

Visited a customer the other day and he gave me this model to show him some tips and tricks as far as texture mapping goes. Modeled in ALIAS, and yes, he owns the car, too.

This is a realtime screenshot, btw.

Thomas

knight

Nice Rim! would he swap it with my honda  ;D

is it bump map on the tire? how do you get circular textures correctly placed on the rim and brake plate?

Chad Holton

Awesome, Thomas! Are you willing to share your tips and tricks? And the texture?

guest84672

Sorry for the delay in responding to my post. I put a texture and a bump map on the tire. Same as most times, simple used the same jpeg as texture and as bump map.

So how did I get it to line up nicely with the tire? Granted it is a bit tricky, and we will address this in v2.

Here is what I did.

- I work my self from the "outside in" - first the texture / bump on the tire, then on the disk, then on the center cap.
- Apply the "rubber" material from the library to the tire, or any other material.
Moving a texture in place is not difficult when you have a continuous surface. With the tire we don't have this - obviously. Since we are applying a square texture, we need the ability to place the texture center in the center of the object. To do this easily I did the following trick:

After applying the material to the tire, copy the material (shift left click) and then apply the material AND link it (shift ctrl left click) to the center cap. Since this is now a material group you will only deal with a single texture and a single bump map per material group. Any changes you make now will affect both the material on the tire and the center cap.

To place the texture:
- Now double click on the material to edit.
- Open up the texture dialog.
- Load the texture.
- Change the projection type (x or z) - if in doubt turn on the coordinate system in the image tab or use shift C
- Click "pick texture center" and pick close to the center of the center cap.
- Now increase or decrease the texture from the center in u and v direction (scale u/v) until you see it showing up on the tire.
- Move the texture to the center to the center numerically.
- Continue to increase / decrease the u/v scale until the texture is perfectly placed

To place the bump map (doesn't actually matter what you do first)
- Open up the bump map dialog, and the texture dialog.
- Load the same image.
- Copy the values from the texture dialog.

Done.

Continue with the brake disk the same way. When you get to texturing the center cap, make sure to remove it from the material group first. Do this by either applying a material from the material library, or simply copy (shift left click) and paste (shift right click) the assigned material onto the same surface.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thomas

jbeau

Nice job, I think we need to move you into production:)

guest84672

Oh thanks - I think I'll pass  ;)