Volumetric Lighting

Started by Shubham_Kapoor, October 16, 2015, 12:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shubham_Kapoor

I am used to Keyshot now for months.
I saw some really nice renders on the internet with Vray, Arnold, Maxwell and Octane.
They all support volumetric lighting which is very realistic looking lighting in shots.
Keyshot 6 is still in beta so I would like if the team adds this in the new software. I love Keyshot and wil support it till the end of my career.

Thank You for coming into this topic I  hope you raise this issue with your replies. :D

TpwUK

It's been on the wish-list for about 2 years now and i know it's under consideration along with fog, however neither is in KS6 beta and i would think it's now too late to be introduced before release. Version 6.1 is scheduled to have fur/hair support for Maya and possibly C4D. My guess would be version 7 or even later for volumetric effects. There are so many great additions coming in v6.x that even after release there will be many updates and the policy from v5 to v6 was to have a stable version 5 before starting v6 so i would assume the same policy will apply again.

It might not be the answer you are looking for, but at least it lets you know there is a possibility in the not too far distant future as KeyShot has never said no to this :)

As for fogging you might be able to do this with v5 already. I need to experiment again, but i did achieve something like fog using a noise procedural
shader applied to opacity on a cube. I feel if you were to apply an animation sequence to the cube to make it move down a few units and to rotate it a few units along with some motion blur and it just might work. I might just try it later and see what results i get, so thanks for reminding me :)

Martin

Shubham_Kapoor

Quote from: TpwUK on October 16, 2015, 04:51:56 AM
It's been on the wish-list for about 2 years now and i know it's under consideration along with fog, however neither is in KS6 beta and i would think it's now too late to be introduced before release. Version 6.1 is scheduled to have fur/hair support for Maya and possibly C4D. My guess would be version 7 or even later for volumetric effects. There are so many great additions coming in v6.x that even after release there will be many updates and the policy from v5 to v6 was to have a stable version 5 before starting v6 so i would assume the same policy will apply again.

It might not be the answer you are looking for, but at least it lets you know there is a possibility in the not too far distant future as KeyShot has never said no to this :)

As for fogging you might be able to do this with v5 already. I need to experiment again, but i did achieve something like fog using a noise procedural
shader applied to opacity on a cube. I feel if you were to apply an animation sequence to the cube to make it move down a few units and to rotate it a few units along with some motion blur and it just might work. I might just try it later and see what results i get, so thanks for reminding me :)

Martin
It would be great to get it in an update, also it's been for years in Cinema 4DD. The lights looks really awesome when rendered in VrayforC4D. It creates a mood for mist and dust which can't be achieved in post production. If you find a way to do it, it would be very kind and helpful if you share it here . Thank  for your reply.

PhilippeV8

Thing is ... volumetric light is mostly used for indoor scenes .. architectural images .. old or dirty scenes .. etc.
Now .. KS in the first place came out as a product visualisation render software.  Some were using it for architectural scenes, but specific for indoor scenes, it lacked a few options and a few optimalisations.  With KS5 I think came the lighting materials, which helped the indoor scenes .. now for KS6 we get further improvements that will fill the toolbox of those who use KS for architecture and the like.  Such as tilt-shift-lens and better indoor lighting.
Volumetric light is further down THAT road ... which is where the product will some day probably get to ... but don't forget, this software was not originaly built for architecture rendering.  It is broadening its targets, but don't expect it to go down your lane any faster than the other lanes.  ;)

Just how I look at it ... but hey ... what do I know hehe, don't take my word as the only real truth.

Despot

I could be wrong (I normally am) but I don't think KS will ever get volumetric lights... the ability to render particle volumes, possibly :)

There is a way though of getting volumetric lights into a KeyShot render by compositing a volumetric pass from a secondary package... been there, done it, got the t-shirt...

J

Despot

You need to understand that Volume lights are like caustics, they are very rarely used in day to day CGI...

They were introduced into Cinema 4D 16 years ago, but I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've seen them used in production.

Actually, light volumes only appear when they have participating media such as smoke or dust, so in reality they are rarely seen :)

J

Shubham_Kapoor

I understand that Philippe, may be I am wrong. Keyshot was yes designed for product presentation. Also yeah it's very rare but I really like that mood. Anyway Keyshot is already a really awesome program if it lacks something I don't know it will be still be the best in my opinion. Thanks for your replies, also where will I find this much awesome community of people. Nowhere. I will be excited for Keyshot 6.

PhilippeV8

Sup_a10

Quote from: Shubham_Kapoor on October 16, 2015, 07:45:01 PM
I understand that Philippe, may be I am wrong. Keyshot was yes designed for product presentation. Also yeah it's very rare but I really like that mood. Anyway Keyshot is already a really awesome program if it lacks something I don't know it will be still be the best in my opinion. Thanks for your replies, also where will I find this much awesome community of people. Nowhere. I will be excited for Keyshot 6.

Develop team should understand that when there is a Engine can render fast and get good result, many people will use it for making film, not only for product introduction. Maybe you understand the super happy feeling when creating a super romantic CGI scene with the volumetric sunlight shine through the trees or something else same. Volumetrics is necessary for every Rendering Engine !  I used to have to "render objects in Keyshot  then render Volumetric lighting in C4D then Comp them in After Effects". But now I'm moving to Arnold, Clarisse ifx.