Interior mode VS non-interior mode.

Started by Esben Oxholm, November 10, 2015, 09:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syrom

Id say  the 2nd interior us using the feature.  Looks cleaner.

syrom

syrom

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on November 11, 2015, 08:14:25 AM
*Drumroll*
The .171 is the interior one.
Quote from: Despot on November 10, 2015, 10:53:12 AM
Looked again more closely and it's definitely .171...

I've quickly comped something together comparing similar visual characteristics that my Attic Space and Esben's  .171 render share...

Great comparison, Despot. I'm not sure those characteristics are realistic. I actually prefer the non-interior where it seems more smooth.

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on November 11, 2015, 02:40:12 AM
Why is there so little difference !  :o  :-\

I also got surprised by that. Thought the difference would have been bigger. If they only ran for like 2 or 1 hour, the different might be bigger as (I think!) that the interior mode should resolve quicker than the non-interior.

Are anyone aware of the Pros and Cons of using the interior-mode?
I read recently on the forum that the caustics resolves quicker, but besides of that I don't know.

Well damn. Don't know if I'll like turning thar on then.  The banding is terrible.

syrom

Attic room is nice.  I'm glad the results looks better.  But just to add this in,  I think I can get one of my renders to look that good  using ks5. But that's just me.  Hopefully more people render interior shots to see more examples.

KeyShot

Interior mode and non-interior mode will converge to the same result if the number of indirect and regular ray bounces are increased sufficiently. There can be small differences caused by interior mode performing a full sampling of the environment lighting, whereas non-interior mode assumes a product sitting on the ground and ignores lighting from below.

The key difference - as this thread also shows - is that interior mode will converge much faster for interior lighting scenarios (especially as the lighting becomes more complex).

As a side-bonus interior mode is faster in scenes with many lights and in general faster when a high number of ray bounces are needed. Such as for gem stones.

Despot

QuoteI think I can get one of my renders to look that good  using ks5

I'm the guy who did the Attic image...

So come on, put your money where your mouth is and get the same light distribution in KS5

You should have no trouble, since your so proficient at using KeyShot ;)

J