Keyshot
3 (60%)
Maxwell
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: December 11, 2015, 10:07:43 PM

Justin M

Quote from: syrom on November 12, 2015, 11:44:30 AM
Btw.... anyone suggest me a hair solution.  What's the easiest app to render realistic hair. Ornatrix is great but can't buy it. Looking for a free solution if there is any. Thxs!

Not sure what 3D package you use, assuming 3dsmax since you mentioned Ornatrix. However, if you are using Maya, xgen is built int to maya and is very easy to learn and brush hair and you can render it in any engine you would like, which Maxwell is your preference...

syrom

Quote from: Justin M on November 12, 2015, 11:54:28 AM
Btw.... anyone suggest me a hair solution.  What's the easiest app to render realistic hair. Ornatrix is great but can't buy it. Looking for a free solution if there is any. Thxs!

Not sure what 3D package you use, assuming 3dsmax since you mentioned Ornatrix. However, if you are using Maya, xgen is built int to maya and is very easy to learn and brush hair and you can render it in any engine you would like, which Maxwell is your preference...

Yeah... 3dmax. I've heard of the Maya solution  and seen great results.  Maybe I'll give Maya a shot one day. I have always used 3dmax.

Justin M

Quote from: syrom on November 12, 2015, 11:58:53 AM

Yeah... 3dmax. I've heard of the Maya solution  and seen great results.  Maybe I'll give Maya a shot one day. I have always used 3dmax.

I use both Max and Maya daily, I ran into the same thing, wanting to use Ornatrix but not wanting to fork over the dough for the plugin, decided to just go with Maya/xgen. The couple hours to learn it was far better than sinking cash on Ornatrix. But if you're not familiar with Maya that may be a steeper learning curve...

TpwUK

The only free tool for hair that i know of is Blender, then you will need YouTube or Vimeo to harvest some tutorials

Martin

syrom

Quote from: Justin M on November 12, 2015, 12:04:38 PM

I use both Max and Maya daily, I ran into the same thing, wanting to use Ornatrix but not wanting to fork over the dough for the plugin, decided to just go with Maya/xgen. The couple hours to learn it was far better than sinking cash on Ornatrix. But if you're not familiar with Maya that may be a steeper learning curve...

Justin, im rather good with 3dmax. Do you think migrating  to Maya would be easier since I have years using max?  Compared to someone who had never modeled. Seems like Maya is used a lot in the game industry.

syrom

Quote from: TpwUK on November 12, 2015, 12:08:56 PM

The only free tool for hair that i know of is Blender, then you will need YouTube or Vimeo to harvest some tutorials

Martin

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into it.  I know 3dmax2016 has its own solution,  but from researching around. ... its not that great.  I don't know.  Anyone here used the native 3dmax hair?

Justin M

Quote from: syrom on November 12, 2015, 12:12:27 PM
Quote from: Justin M on November 12, 2015, 12:04:38 PM

Justin, im rather good with 3dmax. Do you think migrating  to Maya would be easier since I have years using max?  Compared to someone who had never modeled. Seems like Maya is used a lot in the game industry.

I don't think it would be much of a learning curve if you've used Max for years, especially if you are just using it for the hair.  In my experience 3dsmax is more towards the game industry and Maya is more for film/tv. That being said, both are very good programs and are both used for all industries under the sun, personally Maya is the winner, just my preference.  In terms of Keyshot, I find my camera animations exporting from maya into Keyshot seems to work alot better than Max for some odd reason. Always ran into issues with camera/geometry fbx issues exporting from Max to Keyshot, Maya never gave me any trouble...

syrom

Oh boy! I know what you mean about importing issues.lol. But good knowledge there on what's used on what. One big issue that KS gives me once in a while is on geometry  dissappearing when I reboot and reloading  it up again.  But it only happens when I have a very, very high polygon count in the scene.

Justin M

Quote from: syrom on November 12, 2015, 12:31:18 PM
Oh boy! I know what you mean about importing issues.lol. But good knowledge there on what's used on what. One big issue that KS gives me once in a while is on geometry  dissappearing when I reboot and reloading  it up again.  But it only happens when I have a very, very high polygon count in the scene.

I've used the Send to feature in Max to Maya many times to troubleshoot things.   That way you have the same animations/geometry in both programs, one will be baked keyframes, then export out an fbx from both and do a comparison. I've done this a few times when I have a file in Max and i have a camera animation and it just isn't exporting correctly to KS.

syrom

Quote from: Justin M on November 12, 2015, 12:41:50 PM
Quote from: syrom on November 12, 2015, 12:31:18 PM

I've used the Send to feature in Max to Maya many times to troubleshoot things.   That way you have the same animations/geometry in both programs, one will be baked keyframes, then export out an fbx from both and do a comparison. I've done this a few times when I have a file in Max and i have a camera animation and it just isn't exporting correctly to KS.

Ahhh... thats good to know.

feher

The only way anyone can do a side by side comparison is if that person knows each software inside and out.
If you are a user of Maxwell and not Keyshot how can you compare.
In the end it's all about the person behind the keyboard. The software is only a tool.
Just my two cents.
Tim

TpwUK

Quote from: feher on November 15, 2015, 07:02:10 AM
The only way anyone can do a side by side comparison is if that person knows each software inside and out.
If you are a user of Maxwell and not Keyshot how can you compare.
In the end it's all about the person behind the keyboard. The software is only a tool.
Just my two cents.
Tim

So true!

Martin

Angelo

use the tools you feel most comfortable with, each one has its strenghts and weakneses, some wise words from mr fausto di martini "Find what you love and be as good as you can. Work on your design, software is not going to make you better" i have recently moved on to vray for maya i can already see where keyshot shines brighter and where vray does aswell, like the wise master fehers teachings: All comes down to the person working the keyboard.

syrom

I'll continue this project once i get more familiar with ks. As for KS6 is out, it's better  to use the most current.