Main Menu

Oil Platform

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, November 11, 2015, 02:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Trying something completely different. Never rendered such a huge scene before, and I feel like I'm really stumbling on this one. I'm somewhat pleased with this first results, but I can't put my finger on what's missing/wrong. Let me know if anyone of you spots it!

Crane modeled in NX. Platform, mountain and sea taken form turbosquid. Photoshop used to add light glares.

Also: Somewhat paradoxically, interior mode is used.

Despot

I love it, but for me using shift lens would have helped as it would have aligned the left leg with the image border

Perhaps populating it with humans ?, unless of course it's defunct :)

Anyway, it's a very well executed break from the norm

J

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Despot on November 11, 2015, 02:26:52 AM
I love it, but for me using shift lens would have helped as it would have aligned the left leg with the image border

Perhaps populating it with humans ?, unless of course it's defunct :)

Anyway, it's a very well executed break from the norm

J

Okay, I'm trying to google 'shift lens' here. Maybe I should read up on photography. You are basically saying to decrease the perspective effect? Thanks for the feedback:)

edwardo

Thats great, I love it! nice to see something a little bit different.

E

Despot

QuoteMaybe I should read up on photography. You are basically saying to decrease the perspective effect?

Hey Magnus, 'Shift Lens' was introduced in KS 6 Beta in order to get straight verticals.

In the Lens Setting area of the Camera Tab, change the setting from Perspective to Shift and then click 'Estimate Vertical Shift', that will align all verticals. In rare instances you might need to adjust the Vertical and/or Horizontal shift sliders manually.

Hope this helps

J :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Ahh, I wasn't aware of this feature. I'll check it out, thanks!

Edwardo: Thanks:)

bronson

I have to comment on this one...:)
It's beautiful, I love it.....Incredible render

Bronson

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: bronson on November 11, 2015, 04:27:42 PM
I have to comment on this one...:)
It's beautiful, I love it.....Incredible render

Bronson

Thank you Bronson! Much obliged:)

DonChunior

Is the crane a Liebherr RL-K?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: DonChunior on November 12, 2015, 02:07:18 AM
Is the crane a Liebherr RL-K?

I have no idea. I just looked at a turbosquid crane and modeled after that, while I designed the cabin myself. I've looked at some models, and it kinda reminds me of a MacGregor AHC crane. But then again, they all look pretty similar.

Esben Oxholm

Cool subject and great start.
I have a few thoughts about how I think the rendering could be better.
I'm just going to spit it out in a random order and it is supposed to be read as constructive criticism.

1. The platform seems rather dark compared to the environment it is sitting in. I would expect it to be brighter.

2. My eyes are drawn to the skies and mountain as they are the brightest areas in your rendering. Not sure if that was the intent.

3. It looks like the photographer couldn't decide if the mountains or the oil platform should be the point of focus in the image and included both equally. I would suggest to turn the camera left, thus cutting of half of the mountains and show more of the rig.

4. The glow around the lights on the platform seems a bit to agressive and I believe that the falloff is a bit to sharp.

Take it or leave it :)
Ask if you have any questions to the above or if I need to elaborate something.

Best,

Magnus Skogsfjord

That's great Esben! Just the kind of feedback I was looking for:)

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on November 12, 2015, 06:19:36 AM
1. The platform seems rather dark compared to the environment it is sitting in. I would expect it to be brighter.
That's true. Haven't thought about that. This might be something I could do post(?)

2. My eyes are drawn to the skies and mountain as they are the brightest areas in your rendering. Not sure if that was the intent.

Well, not really no, but I generally kinda like the dramatic looking skies. But you might be right that it should be toned down.

[/quote]
3. It looks like the photographer couldn't decide if the mountains or the oil platform should be the point of focus in the image and included both equally. I would suggest to turn the camera left, thus cutting of half of the mountains and show more of the rig.
Indeed! That is why the image was looking better on instagram, where I had to crop the image in the middle of the mountains. Funny thing is, I didn't know exactly why until you pointed it out now.

4. The glow around the lights on the platform seems a bit to agressive and I believe that the falloff is a bit to sharp.
True true. These are added post, and is very easy to tone down.

I'm very grateful for your feedback. I'll have to revisit this one and incorporate some of these tweaks.