Side by Side Comparison II

Started by syrom, November 15, 2015, 08:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syrom

I'll   post my interior done with a newly updated system running Ks6. There are 2 pics here.  One is raw and the other is post worked. Obviously the soft glow one is post.  It's a scene I made a while back with maxwell. Everything is 95% close to the maxwell scene. From the sun and light plane locations along with the intensity  values. Oh... also material colors rgb's are dead on. The 5% difference is the bed sheet color. If allowed I'll  post the maxwell render so the comparison can be seen. For the meantime,  check out the KS output. It is beautiful.

Will Gibbons

It's a nice scene for sure. I actually am a fan of the raw render though, if I'm allowed to choose a favorite.

syrom

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on November 15, 2015, 11:33:41 AM
It's a nice scene for sure. I actually am a fan of the raw render though, if I'm allowed to choose a favorite.

True. But..... all the best renders out there have  post work.

Admin, I'm waiting on a go ahead to post the maxwell pic.

slater

Quote from: syrom on November 15, 2015, 12:44:33 PM

That for sure syrom, all best renders have postwork..less or more but all have it, in everywhere, in every forum..so i never saw problem using postwork.

syrom

Quote from: slater on November 15, 2015, 03:37:05 PM

That for sure syrom, all best renders have postwork..less or more but all have it, in everywhere, in every forum..so i never saw problem using postwork.

To be honest,  I've only come across dislikes on post work on this for forum.  Everywhere else,  seems like its expected.

Anyways,  I did some more tweaking on it to match my other maxwell render. Its at about 98% exactly as maxwell and to my great surprise,  I think KS comes really close with the new interior  setting. I had doubts about it earlier when I was seeing some interiors from others. But now that I spend all day playing with it and understand it. ... its actually a real improvement.  Now... the 2% I'm lacking is fur! My original maxwell has a 2x4 wow fur mat. Well.... i can't find anything on KS that will generate that lush fur. Anyone found a solution?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: syrom on November 15, 2015, 10:30:40 PM
Quote from: slater on November 15, 2015, 03:37:05 PM

To be honest,  I've only come across dislikes on post work on this for forum.  Everywhere else,  seems like its expected.

I'm all up for post work as I know a lot of others in here are, but I got to say that in this case I also like the raw better. I think the post looks a bit too soft. But that is just a personal opinion.

When that is said I think the result generally is really great. It's most definitely in my personal top 5 of KeyShot interiors.

TpwUK

QuoteTo be honest,  I've only come across dislikes on post work on this for forum.  Everywhere else,  seems like its expected.

You can do as much post as you want, personally i prefer no post especially when beta testing renders and or comparing render engines. What you apply in post tends to be to an individuals own tastes and disguises what could be render engine faults/limitations. Adding things like light rays and bokeh effects is far more acceptable as KS can't do these things. Just my 2c.

Other than that the raw render is great and you could have possibly have got a better result just from using Bloom settings

Martin

ErtanK

I don't think people in general are against post. But there is a difference between subtle (to improve realism) and overdone. There are a lot of examples in the different forums where artists go post-crazy.

Your raw render is great. The second render is obviously post, even without mentioning it, and in that regard an example of too much...at least for me.

syrom

Quote from: TpwUK on November 16, 2015, 01:26:40 AM
QuoteTo be honest,  I've only come across dislikes on post work on this for forum.  Everywhere else,  seems like its expected.

You can do as much post as you want, personally i prefer no post especially when beta testing renders and or comparing render engines. What you apply in post tends to be to an individuals own tastes and disguises what could be render engine faults/limitations. Adding things like light rays and bokeh effects is far more acceptable as KS can't do these things. Just my 2c.

Other than that the raw render is great and you could have possibly have got a better result just from using Bloom settings

Martin

100% Agree! I'm still dabbing in ks, wasn't  aware of bloom. I will try it!

syrom

Quote from: ErtanK on November 16, 2015, 01:59:19 AM
I don't think people in general are against post. But there is a difference between subtle (to improve realism) and overdone. There are a lot of examples in the different forums where artists go post-crazy.

Your raw render is great. The second render is obviously post, even without mentioning it, and in that regard an example of too much...at least for me.

Lol! And that's a subtle  post! You7 should see the other one i made. Is like your on acid.

syrom

Well damn. I was going to go ahead and post the maxwell render with the more accurate  ks render I just did last night.  Didn't realize I didn't upload the maxwell to my device. I spent another 3 hours getting everything exactly to match the maxwell scene. Rgb, light specs, geometry location and so on. The good news is, KS can indeed be used  for interior  design.  It almost matched the maxwell quality.  And a bonus,  didn't require a over night render like maxwell does. Ks6 does indeed have a better sss control aswell. Im loving it.  Only one issue  is preventing me from fully  adopting ks as my primary interior render though.  The fact that you have to work on the real time window. Even switching to geometry mode isn't really that helpful. I wish they would implement the geometry  mode as a direct option and eliminate the real time when needed. Great example is when you want to move a object and you have the geometry  window side by side with the real time,  you can only grab  the object in the real time render window  and not on the geometry side.  Hopefully  the next version on KS will have this sorted out. Lots of my scenes have millions of polygons , so even putting it in Performance  mode, its really low fps.

KeyShot

Performance mode should give very good performance with as many polygons as you can have in memory. If this is not the case then it would be great if you could share the scene with support, so we can look at any issues you may be experiencing.

Also, you can import fur into KeyShot 6 from 3ds max, Maya, cinema4D, and fbx.

syrom

Quote from: KeyShot on November 16, 2015, 07:36:27 PM
Performance mode should give very good performance with as many polygons as you can have in memory. If this is not the case then it would be great if you could share the scene with support, so we can look at any issues you may be experiencing.

Also, you can import fur into KeyShot 6 from 3ds max, Maya, cinema4D, and fbx.

Hey keyshot, Performance mode does help but only a tiny bit. I go from like a crazy 3fps when in product mode to maybe 9fps on performance  mode. Isn't this normal for most people but varying  on pc specs? And I'm talking about having a scene with over 1 million polygons. If its just 1 simple object, the system runs fine and over 30fps.

syrom

So..... on the original topic.  Here is the results. Both scenes are identical expect the keyshot is missing  the floor carpet mat. All rgb's identical. All light emitters as close as i could match them but same hue and same position. Both images  are RAW [no post]. Enjoy.

One question. Jpeg is heavily compressed.  I can see the numbers on the clock on the maxwell but not on the keyshot. What is the best file format in keyshot fir the least  compressing?

TpwUK

Love the comparison. Not viewed them as full sized, but from what i can see, I prefer the lighting of Maxwell coming through the window, but I prefer the shadows and smoother looking finish of the KeyShot render.

You can only set the compression for jpg and png files via the preferences for screenshots, however I don't know if those preferences carry over to the main render engine though  :-\

Martin