texture on product - packshot replacement

Started by mertmg, November 16, 2015, 09:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mertmg

Hi all,
i`m trying to change look of a product with its packshot. i`ve 3d model of the product but when i try to stick texture or label onto it never wraps as i wanted. can any one show me how to do it. i have loads of models like this to finalise.
i tried to map it using box map it didnt work out. also i tried to manage cylindrical mapping but i couldn't find activate the mapping tool so i drag the bars to be able to adjust mapping but it didn't worked out

i add model with package file. i need urgent help on this.
:'(

TpwUK

Are you using version 5 or the new v6 ? ... KS6 has a much better labelling toolset

Martin

mertmg

Hi Martin I'm on Ks5 now.
there has to be a trick to make it work on Ks5

TpwUK

If you can export the model from your modelling app as OBJ, FBX, LWO or even 3DS (Keep in mind that 3DS can only support 65536 polygons though), then you can design the label/texture/material as an all in one in Photoshop or whichever your preferred  image editor is, and UV map it using something like http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx. If the model is 3DM or can be exported to that format, then you can do a UV of sorts using Rhino which has a 30 day trial.

Martin

mertmg

Thx for the advice it is quite hard than? :(
I'm using Creo so it would be hard to managa that kind of stuff. But at some point I think it would be beneficial to check how that uvmapper thing works.

Esben Oxholm

Hi mertmg.

KS5 or not, to me it looks like the way you approach this is a bit... 'wrong' in lack of a better term.

From what I see, you are trying to map a single sided product image (including existing lighting and reflections) to a three-dimensional model. No matter how hard you try, I don't think this is going to work.

What I suggest you do is:

• Create 'Color Gradient' going from pink to black in the diffuse channel.
  • Source the logos and graphics or recreate them in e.g. photoshop and save them out individually as .png with transparent backgrounds.
  • Apply the logo and graphics you just created as labels. This way you should be able to position them as you want.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if I need to explain things a bit clearer.

Best,
Esben

Esben Oxholm

I did a quick example to show what I mean. Check it out :)

mertmg

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on November 16, 2015, 12:24:12 PM
Hi mertmg.

KS5 or not, to me it looks like the way you approach this is a bit... 'wrong' in lack of a better term.

From what I see, you are trying to map a single sided product image (including existing lighting and reflections) to a three-dimensional model. No matter how hard you try, I don't think this is going to work.

What I suggest you do is:

• Create 'Color Gradient' going from pink to black in the diffuse channel.
  • Source the logos and graphics or recreate them in e.g. photoshop and save them out individually as .png with transparent backgrounds.
  • Apply the logo and graphics you just created as labels. This way you should be able to position them as you want.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if I need to explain things a bit clearer.

Best,
Esben

hi Esben,

yes you`re right. i`ve just thought about it when i had my dinner! kind of eureka moment :) thank you for your quick model i`ll check that one and will try to do like you mentioned.

Lets say if i had a full picture of a product like this (in a twisted shape) what kind of approach should i`ve to try to make it look like it.

Esben Oxholm

QuoteLets say if i had a full picture of a product like this (in a twisted shape) what kind of approach should i`ve to try to make it look like it.

If you mean a full texture map, then I would say you need to do uvmapping. That is my best guess at least.

(thanks for connecting, btw)

mertmg

thanks Esben. i think i started to understand how this kind of mapping works. it seems that i have to train my self to be able get better results .