Glow effect

Started by rkulshrestha, March 09, 2010, 08:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkulshrestha

Hi

In Hypershot, I could increase diffuse transmission on the images applied as a texture in Sketchup and it would give a glow effect. The Diffuse Transmission [I might have forgotten the exact name] looks a lot like the indirect multiplier except the latter doesn't work the same way.

How do I get this kind of glow effect.

Shivani

guest84672

What material are you using? The materials are the same. KeyShot is the same as HyperShot.

rkulshrestha

The material is just a jpeg applied as a texture to the surface in sketchup.
Ok, I figured how to do it. Set it as advanced material, go to Diffuse  'Map button' and increase intensity. But this is a different setting from Hypershot.
Might help others.

Thanks Thomas
Shivani

rkulshrestha

Uhm..
This only works for a jpeg applied as a texture. Doesnt work for other materials. If I choose a paint and switch it to Advanced [material] and increase the intensity, it doesnt take the settings. Reclicking the material shows the material has taken the advanced setting, but the intensity always goes back to 1. Why so??

Shivani

rkulshrestha

Hi Thomas

No response?

Shivani

KeyShot

Are you saying that the intensity parameter for textures only affect the advanced material?

rkulshrestha

Only for a jpeg set as an advanced material. If I set paint as an advanced material, it will not glow.

The original image I posted is from Hypershot.
Image 2 is without Diffuse>Map button>Intensity
Image 3 is with Diffuse>Map button>Intensity - so this works on a Jpeg!
Image 4 is the same as the original, but rendered in Keyshot. See the glow achieved on the sides of the image in the original [cos I applied diffuse transmission to the sides as well on white paint. This does not happen in Keyshot [white paint does not take a setting of increase intensity. If I increase intensity to 1.5 and say 'OK' and then go back to MAP the setting reverts back to 1].

Sorry if I sound confusing.

Shivani

rkulshrestha

In the last image the images lit up are the first and fourth [top to bottom]. I cant make the white sides glow. If you set the white paint as advanced material, go to MAP> Intensity =1.5> OK>MAP you will see intensity resets to 1.

KeyShot

You are correct. Thanks for reporting this. The advanced material will support the intensity parameter in the next update.

rkulshrestha

We need to be able to set any material to advanced and then increase the intensity, not just jpegs, but paints and all other materials as well. Sometimes we need plastics to glow.

Shivani

KeyShot

Are you sure it does not work for other formats? There is nothing restricting the intensity parameter to jpeg.

guest84672

The intensity parameter works well with all other materials. I also noticed the issue with the Advanced Material.

Now keep in mind the best materials for achieving a glow effect are the Flat material, as well as the general material. In the general material, use the ambient color to achieve the glowing effect. The indirect multiplier will further brighten the material.

rkulshrestha

I also found I could increase glow by changing both specular buttons to a color closer to the original color. If they are black it won't glow. Then play with intensity.

Shivani