Main Menu

Displacement map

Started by markep, November 13, 2015, 02:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markep

Does KS6 feature displacement maps?

Despot

markep

Thank you, will have to find another way!

Despot

Either use normal mapping or model your displacement into the mesh as geometry using ZBrush or similar...

J

markep

Weve been looking for a way to render sea water.

its not practical to sculpt in zbrush, and a normal map is still flat.

Its easier to just use a displacement map on a rippled surface, in 3DS Max (or any other cad package etc...) + Vray

TpwUK

Quote from: markep on November 13, 2015, 04:00:10 AM
Weve been looking for a way to render sea water.

its not practical to sculpt in zbrush, and a normal map is still flat.

Its easier to just use a displacement map on a rippled surface, in 3DS Max (or any other cad package etc...) + Vray

Yeap, that's about it ... Displacement via 3rd party app, exported as sequential OBJ or baked to Alembic Cache, then KS6 and scripting is your friend :)

Martin

evilmaul

it would be nice to have displacement supported...been waiting for it as well. I am sure Luxion will get there as well one day.
Vray RT (progressive render of Vray) supports that in case you have access to it

Despot

+1 for Displacement

That would be immense...

syrom

Ahh.. i see. I was wondering about this aswell.  So much for furry carpets.

Despot

QuoteAhh.. i see. I was wondering about this aswell.  So much for furry carpets.

If you need furry rugs or anything like that, create the fur in your favourite modelling package and then export as geometry, KS can handle massive amounts of poly's, way more than MW can handle :)

In future versions of KS, possibly even 6.1, rendering of hair curves from external packages, Cinema 4D, Maya, etc will be possible

J

Claus Jensen

KeyShot 6 does support direct ray tracing of curves. They can be imported from Cinema 4D, Max, Alembic, Maya and FBX.

Despot

QuoteKeyShot 6 does support direct ray tracing of curves. They can be imported from Cinema 4D, Max, Alembic, Maya and FBX.

Yes, sorry, must have had a brainstorm there - I wouldn't care, I've actually used them a few times in KS6 Beta.

I think what I actually meant was the hair curves shader, which suddenly appeared, then went away just as quick... I then heard that it was making a comeback in 6.1 :)

J

syrom

Quote from: Despot on November 16, 2015, 01:08:25 PM
QuoteAhh.. i see. I was wondering about this aswell.  So much for furry carpets.

If you need furry rugs or anything like that, create the fur in your favourite modelling package and then export as geometry, KS can handle massive amounts of poly's, way more than MW can handle :)

In future versions of KS, possibly even 6.1, rendering of hair curves from external packages, Cinema 4D, Maya, etc will be possible

J

lol! I hear ya. That's something I have to start doing. I use displacement maps so the time so generating the polys outside ks will just add more skills for me.  Thanks for the suggestion!