Main Menu

Lonely Road - WIP

Started by Justin M, November 23, 2015, 06:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

I like that last rendering. Nice work.

PhilippeV8

Wow nice :)  Great improvements there.  I like it !

Speedster

I've hesitated commenting on this thread for a rather strange reason, which I'll explain.

But first, your last rendering is simply, IMO, one of the best I've seen!  Stunning, in an odd way, which I'll explain.  I hope!

We're used to seeing CAD + KeyShot for cars, boats, trains, planes and product design.  But I've noticed that many artists are now working in CG, to great success.  I also have been experimenting in CG for the creation of abstract art, which I have not yet shared as I'm "not there yet".  Still trying to get my head around the possibilities.

You see, CG landscapes and abstracts can, and I think should, have an edgy quality about them.  Otherwise just take a photo and call it a day. Much like an automobile rendering.  If it's "perfect", you might just as well back it out of the garage and take a photo of it.  But in CG, we have the ability to capture the design intent and, usually, the needs of the advertising agency.  But what more can we say if we work in CG?  A lot!  Your last image is a perfect illustration- it has an edgy quality about it, is not quite photo-realistic, and you, as the artist, used this to draw our eye into the image and share your vision.

The abstract work I'm playing with is much the same- there's just no way you can capture the artistic intent except by using "impossible" designs and concepts that defy the laws of physics and realism.  The "edge" so to speak.

We're moving into uncharted territory, and I'm really glad you have shared your ideas with us!  Keep it up!

Hope any of this makes sense- like I said, it's difficult to explain.

Bill G

Josh3D

Well said, Bill!

Justin, this has been a great process to see and the result looks beautiful!

Justin M

Justin M

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on December 07, 2015, 01:53:17 AM
Wow nice :)  Great improvements there.  I like it !

Thanks PhilippeV8 for the feedback!

Justin M

Quote from: Speedster on December 07, 2015, 10:22:37 AM
I've hesitated commenting on this thread for a rather strange reason, which I'll explain.

But first, your last rendering is simply, IMO, one of the best I've seen!  Stunning, in an odd way, which I'll explain.  I hope!

We're used to seeing CAD + KeyShot for cars, boats, trains, planes and product design.  But I've noticed that many artists are now working in CG, to great success.  I also have been experimenting in CG for the creation of abstract art, which I have not yet shared as I'm "not there yet".  Still trying to get my head around the possibilities.

You see, CG landscapes and abstracts can, and I think should, have an edgy quality about them.  Otherwise just take a photo and call it a day. Much like an automobile rendering.  If it's "perfect", you might just as well back it out of the garage and take a photo of it.  But in CG, we have the ability to capture the design intent and, usually, the needs of the advertising agency.  But what more can we say if we work in CG?  A lot!  Your last image is a perfect illustration- it has an edgy quality about it, is not quite photo-realistic, and you, as the artist, used this to draw our eye into the image and share your vision.

The abstract work I'm playing with is much the same- there's just no way you can capture the artistic intent except by using "impossible" designs and concepts that defy the laws of physics and realism.  The "edge" so to speak.

We're moving into uncharted territory, and I'm really glad you have shared your ideas with us!  Keep it up!

Hope any of this makes sense- like I said, it's difficult to explain.

Bill G

Thanks Bill!!   Well said, makes perfect sense.  I was a little hesitant myself about sharing this at first. As you said, you see mostly  cars, boats, trains, planes and product design on the forum.  But I figured I'd share anyway and see what other KS artists thought.  Its very refreshing to hear comments like yours.  Thanks again!

Justin M

Quote from: Josh Mings on December 08, 2015, 07:33:54 AM
Well said, Bill!

Justin, this has been a great process to see and the result looks beautiful!

Thanks Josh!