How to make this?

Started by Georg Malm, December 08, 2010, 01:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georg Malm

hi!
Do you know how I can make this material in Keyshot?
I dont even know how do you call this material,but look at picture- glasses!

guest84672

Translucent material with texture?

Georg Malm

Quote from: Thomas Teger on December 08, 2010, 07:58:48 AM
Translucent material with texture?
I tried but without results...It is no transparency in translucent mats...
What texture did u recommend to use?
Can you please write in details about material settings?

JeffM

I put together a sample file for this tortoise shell effect, the download link is below.

I used the advanced material to dial in a base material that gave the kind of transparency/transluncency that the glasses have in their lightest areas. Then made a texture in photoshop, started with rendering some clouds, then a few hits on the difference clouds, blurred the image to soften the patterns and then used the smudge tool to move the details around a bit. This was then a black and white image, but I needed it to be partly transparent, so I just softly color selected the white color and deleted the selection from the image a few times to get my transparency. Saved as a tiff with transparency, and time to go back to KeyShot.

I loaded this new texture into the advanced material I worked on for the base plastic of the glasses, but I loaded it as a label. Set the label to "box" map and enable "repeat", this basically makes a second layer on your material that has opaque black areas and transparent areas, based on the texture. Scale and shift the label to get the details where you want them.

Here's my quick result

Download the bip and texture here: http://www.keyshot.com/images/JeffM/Glasses.zip

Georg Malm

Quote from: JeffM on December 08, 2010, 07:25:55 PM
I put together a sample file for this tortoise shell effect, the download link is below.

I used the advanced material to dial in a base material that gave the kind of transparency/transluncency that the glasses have in their lightest areas. Then made a texture in photoshop, started with rendering some clouds, then a few hits on the difference clouds, blurred the image to soften the patterns and then used the smudge tool to move the details around a bit. This was then a black and white image, but I needed it to be partly transparent, so I just softly color selected the white color and deleted the selection from the image a few times to get my transparency. Saved as a tiff with transparency, and time to go back to KeyShot.

I loaded this new texture into the advanced material I worked on for the base plastic of the glasses, but I loaded it as a label. Set the label to "box" map and enable "repeat", this basically makes a second layer on your material that has opaque black areas and transparent areas, based on the texture. Scale and shift the label to get the details where you want them.

Here's my quick result

Download the bip and texture here: http://www.keyshot.com/images/JeffM/Glasses.zip

THANX MAN!!!!
BIG RESPEKT!!!

andy.engelkemier

Why is the shadow from the lenses affecting the same as the frame? Shouldn't it be slightly more transparent?
I understand you'd need caustics to actually get the focused light effect, but shouldn't you at least see some difference at this angle?

Also, do you guys plan on having any 3D textures, like noise/clouds, later one that are procedural to do things like this? That sure would be nice. Talk to Brian about how to map them. I've always liked Maya's implementation of the 3D uv map the best. I bet he'll have some great input.

Xidor

Glad I found this topic. Thanks to member jhiker who linked to Jeff's tortoise shell file and texture, I found this thread.

I have a couple of questions I hope you guys could help me with. I'm running KS 2.2. When I tried the tortoise shell material , I loaded it into the plastic folder. And I loaded the texture into the textures folder.

I have a model of an Apple remote control I built in SolidWorks. I have been using the model to try out the tortoise shell material, which I applied to the model. It rezzes up fast, but the render takes so long! It's rendering now, going on 21 minutes on a MacBook Pro 3.06 MHz and 4gb of ram. It's only barely past 1/8 done. this render is set at 3000 pix wide x 1690 tall. I know that's big, so that adds to the time.

I never finished earlier tests renders due to time. So I tried something different. I re-read Paul's description of how he made the tortoise shell. The sample made by Paul is an advanced material so I thought it might be making it slower to render. So it occurred to me to apply the texture as a label on another material to get the same look. So I used the transparent orange plastic material, it renders fast. But after applying the tortoise texture onto the plastic as a label, it still very slow to render.

Is this due to the label covering the whole part?

I have a upcoming job that will need this tortoise material, I guess it just takes longer.

Thanks for any advise!

The render finished, it took 1 hr, 16 mins.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us