anistrophic circular reflection

Started by rimi, December 08, 2010, 10:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimi

hi is it possible to achieve this effect in keyshot2 and if so can somebody help with the material construction in achieving it?

the following example shows what i mean. the circular anistrophic reflection on the end of the cylinder with the power symbol.

thanks in advance

caden2010

Hi, this was covered in an earlier post but I cannot find it at the moment. However I have attached the 2 files needed. You will have to centre it and probably re-scale to suit when applied to your model.

Hope this helps.

Speedster

Good choice!  Of course, I was the guy who first posted it, with my compliments. Machined it out in the shop one day and photographed it. Glad to see you guys using it. This is an excellent texture for this application.  Really kick up the bump map height!

Still trying to get time to machine up other "machined" textures.

Now, show us how it works for you!

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

JeffM

The absolute most proper way to do this is with a very specific normal map. The scan of a the actual piece from a lathe will get you close, but it won't interact with light quite right.

Here is an example file I just put together with some textures that will work nicely, the key is to use the normal map with tiny grooves to catch the light like the actual part would. For this, there is only a normal map, no color map.

I've thrown in a knurled texture as well. Also, I tried to make a nice looking back-lit button, and you can take a look at the bip to see how that came together.

I hope this helps!

Here's the bip: http://www.keyshot.com/images/JeffM/MachinedButtonExample.zip

rimi

ah thanks alot for the effort Jeff, yes I was also wondering if there was a true way of achieving this effect within keyshot, ill have a mess around with this way also. I should also thank Speedster for the other solution which I have used and tested on the Apple Trackpad I modelled in 3ds max and with some post work.

plbb

There is no map no bump, also can close to this effect

JeffM

Speedster

Hi Jeff and all-

QuoteThe scan of a the actual piece from a lathe will get you close, but it won't interact with light quite right.

I agree.  I've never had any luck with scanning a surface, as there's no "light" as you mention.  I always photograph textures, usually under a positioned flourescent, or with the standard two-light rig of side-swipe key and a "far away" fill.  For the bump map posted above, I actually have six different ones, all created in FilterForge, with various "heights", etc.

The only thing that bothers me about your texture is the moire effect, which may be a result of small rendering?  Also (nit picking!) the face texture would not usually appear on a chamfer, which is not a swept cut, but is usually plunge cut with a chamfering lathe tool.  Picky, picky!

Bill G

JeffM

Yes, the moire effect is tricky... a higher res output and more sample sure help. I would also tune that texture by making the grooves a bit larger, the smaller the grooves the harder they are to sample.

The chamfer is broken out so it could have its own material without the texture. I haven't done any metal work on a lathe since high school, so that detail escaped me :)