Importing Solidworks model to Keyshot.

Started by alexjones, January 29, 2016, 11:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexjones

Hello,
  I drew very simple unfolded box in solidworks and I didn't merge the material( sides) together ,
I am trying to bring that in Keyshot and animate it ( fold the flaps and make the box) but I don't how tell Keyshot to recognize every feature as one part instead of recognizing every surface . I hope it make sense

Thanks
Alex

HaroldL

Alex,
From what I can tell of your model (imported in to Geomagic Design), all the parts are the same color. In SW give each part a different color at the part level. When it is imported in to KS the surfaces of each part should be grouped according to material (color).
Does that help?

alexjones

Hi Harold,
  Thank you Harold  for your reply,
   I am sure I am doing something wrong but changing colors didn't help me out.
For some reason I can't import Solidworks part directly ( getting a msg. stating no 3D polygonal material found) so I save the part as an  .igs format then I import it into Keyshot.
I would appreciate if you could suggest a better way .

Thank you again
Alex

HaroldL

Try saving the model out of SW as a STEP214 (214 preserves color info in the model) then bring that into KS. I used IGES to export a model that I created in Geomagic Design. Every surface was imported into KS as a separate item. That was necessary so I could apply different materials to some of the surfaces of the part. I spend way too long putting surfaces into groups before I could start applying materials. But that was before I stepped up to Pro with Geometry Editor.

Not sure if it matters, but see if leaving a little space between the parts helps, even if saved as STEP214.

alexjones

I just downloaded the keyshot plugin for solidworks and export the file as a keyshot native .bip  and that worked great.
no coloring needed
please see the attached file

Thank you again for your help