Lange & Sohne 1815 Chronograph

Started by AndrewHartley, January 31, 2016, 08:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewHartley

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to simulate the non-reflective coating on high-end watch glasses? In real life the coating gives a diffuse soft reflection with a blue or violet colour.

Thanks

jhiker

I'm guessing here, but could you do anything with the 'bubble-film' material...?

AndrewHartley

Thank you for the comments. The suggestion about the bubble-film material is interesting. I will give it a try.

Speedster

KeyShot 5 or KeyShot 6?  Lots of options in 6, and it would help to know which you are using.

Also, if you can map your glass with a different color (UV Mapping in the native CAD) on each side, you might be able to "combine" materials, like Thin Film (bubble) on one side and crystal or solid glass on the other.  Worth a try. 

Beautiful work so far, by the way!  I'm a real fan of vintage and high-end watches!

Bill G

fario

Hello,

your stainless steel are very well.
By cons, your white dial is burned.
Difficult to see the logo inside.

Antoine

boyd_747

AndrewHartley

I tried using the Thin Film material as an anti-glare coating. I modelled a thin disc having the same diameter as the watch glass and positioned it just above the watch glass. I applied the Thin Film material to the disc. If you progressively increase the thickness setting of the Thin Film material (or the refractive index) you can control the colour of the "anti-glare coating". It's not perfect and hard to achieve blue colours but worth a try. You need to position the watch first because if you change the watch position in the HDRI, the colour of the anti-glare coating changes.

Here are two renders - one with anti-glare coating and one without. The render conditions are otherwise identical.

Bill, thank you for your comments. I use KS5. I hope to upgrade to 6 and if you have any suggestions for 6 I would be grateful. UV mapping is above my experience level. I will now try to model the rear side of the chronograph - but that may take a while - have a look at:

http://www.alange-soehne.com/en/timepieces/1815/#1815-chronograph/introduction/402-026

Antoine, I have to agree the dial was burnt in the first render. Thanks for pointing it out.

Andrew

Speedster

Since you are doing the modeling, simply create your watch glass, and apply like a red to the top surface and blue to the underside surface.  It does not matter what colors- all you are doing is instructing KeyShot that there are two separate surfaces.

I do this on ground planes, so I can use (for example) frosted glass on the top, and maybe chrome or a color on the underside.  You can also apply different bump maps as well.

KeyShot 6 will knock your socks off!

Bill G