need help understanding search

Started by andy.engelkemier, February 22, 2016, 08:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I'm in the scene tab.
I named 2 parts with "lens" at the end of the name
I type "lens", and search clears everything

Well, that didn't help. Does search not filter by name? So my thought was "does it only filter materials?"
Lucky for me, these are the only two parts with clear plastic assigned. So I typed "Clear"
no luck.
But then I collapsed a couple models, then uncollapsed them, typed clear again, and now I can't get it to not work.
"lens" still does not work.

So aside from the odd behavior of it not working, then working with a couple extra clicks. What is the intended behavior? Is it intended to only work based on material name? That seems really odd since it filters parts. You would think you could choose to sort by material or part.

Any experts out there use this often and understand why it's kind of odd?

KeyShot

That should just work. Are you using 6.1?

andy.engelkemier

I double checked because I was using the beta. But I had the same thing on the regular license.
But it seems, once I get it working, it's ok.
I tried it on the area-light.bip scene first, and everything was fine.

I then tried it on my file which had one thing imported, that assembly was duplicated after materials were applied. I then had to import one more piece that I wasn't told about, and reposition it. (keyshot REALLY needs a tool for that instead of having to write down all the numbers, and type them back in.)
That file still had the same problem. I search and nothing happens. Once I expand an assembly, that item pops up, but not the other one, until I expand that one. Then I can collapse everything and it seems to work fine mostly. It's pretty buggy, so it's hard to tell. It's Definitely a feature I will not count on since it only works in some situations.

I have actually had this behavior before, but I thought the feature just didn't work and I ignored it. So I  think this has been around for a while now.

TpwUK

Bizarre I have tried Win64 and OS X 64 and not had this problem with either version  :o

Martin

andy.engelkemier

Not sure what's going on. This isn't even a complex file. There are only 110 pieces. The entire thing started in Keyshot 6.1 also.

Like I said though. I've noticed it before, but it was too hard to see the problem. I had a bunch of things grey in one file. I searched grey, and only like 80% of the things would show up. Not sure why. Moving things around a bit in the layers fixed the issue then.